XIII

The hall was full of dark navy robes, neatly aligned in rows. I was sitting in the middle of the crowd, soaking in all of my classmates' nervous and excited energy.
The principal's speech flew over my head, as I stared at the ground, lost in thought.
The whole neighborhood was now hunting for people like me. Maybe I should just run away now before I ever get caught.
My attention was captured by the person to my right, poking my shoulder. I turned and she pointed forward at Peter a couple rows ahead of us, who trying to get my notice.
He waved at me and made a stupid face. I laughed lightly and stuck my tongue out at him.
No. I couldn't never leave him behind.
Look at me, it was basically my number one rule to never get close to anyone in case I needed to fly away. And here I was, tied down by this stupid, silly, amazing, beautiful person.
I love him.
I felt a surge of power fill my veins and for the first time in my life I felt strong. I felt invincible.
My name was called and I snapped back into what was happening.
I stood up and walked up onto the stage, sensing my principal's confused energy as he handed me my diploma.
He had no idea who I was.
The final speech was bland, as the principal read off of his paper I'm sure he wrote for the original class when this school was first opened and had been recycling for every class since. But it eventually ended, and we were finally released from the adolescent prison known as high school.
A sea of navy began to flood the halls, people pushing me forward towards the door. There were constantly flashes from cameras, voices congratulating graduates, and ear-piercing party blowers sounding out everywhere. And I found myself caught in a chaotic frenzy of energy.
I ran to the bathroom, a little emotional that this would be my last time hiding in here.
I pushed myself up onto one of the sinks, and decided to wait out the crowd, wondering where Peter was within it.
A couple minutes passed and the door swung open.
Peter looked at me with his back against the door and popped his bubblegum.
I laughed,
"You know this is the girls' bathroom, right?"
He disregarded my statement and said,
"Thought I'd find you here. The crowd is getting hectic out there, it's crazy."
I jumped down from the sink and wrapped my arms around him.
"No one's ever hid in the bathroom with me before."
His chest bounced as he chuckled and returned the hug.
"Well, they're sure missing out," he replied.
Peter pulled me close and pressed his lips against mine before saying,
"Let me get us out of here."
I nodded and gripped onto his shoulders before he gently braced the back of my head and took off.
Then there was a flash of colors and the sense of his adrenaline.
But there was a fraction of a second where our gazes crossed, and I could feel the warmth of his eyes fill my chest.
He set me down when we arrived my front porch, and after neutralizing the painful energy in my head I asked,
"How'd you run past all of the crowds?"
He smirked,
"I don't think you want to know."
I raised a brow,
"Well, now you absolutely without a doubt have to tell me."
"I ran on the ceiling."
I smiled and playfully shoved him.
He put his arm around my shoulder,
"What? You were perfectly safe."
"Sure. Keep telling yourself that, Quicksilver."
"Fine then let me make it up to you and buy you a milkshake at the Golden Spoon."
"Deal. Let me put away this awful robe first."
We walked inside and my grandmother was in the living room, with a big cake that said, "congratulations graduate!"
I smiled softly at the gesture.
"___, honey I'm so proud of you. I'm sorry again I couldn't be there, with my knee in it's condition and such."
She cupped my face,
"I'm so proud of you."
I kissed her cheek,
"Thank you Grandma."
She looked back at Peter, who shot her a wide smile.
"Grandma, Peter's going to buy me a milkshake. I'll be back in an hour or two."
She gave him a glare,
"You dye your hair silver, boy?"
He remained calm,
"Yep."
"Hmph."
She turned back to me,
"Be back before it gets too late, dear."
"I will."
I took Peter by the hand and led him to my room.
I slipped the robe up over my head, revealing the jeans and t-shirt I had underneath.
"This is why you're my girlfriend."
I looked at him,
"Why?"
He slipped his own robe off.
"Because you wore jeans underneath your robe too."
I laughed and added,
"I'm not wearing some dress for it only to be covered by some butt ugly robe."
My eyes went wide,
"Shit."
"What happened?"
"I left my cap on the sink I'm the bathroom."
And without another word Peter ran to go grab it.
My cheeks turned pink as butterfly wings pounded against my rib cage.
There is no doubt in my mind that I love this boy.
All of the sudden I heard my grandmother scream and a panicked energy filled the house.
I ran outside of my room and my grandmother was pointing at Peter,
"Mutant! This boy's a mutant!"