He Never Got to Know

3 years after Santa Carla

"How could you let this happen?" I cried into the pillow as I squeezed it onto my face ever so often lifting up to breathe.

I didn't mean to blame him like that but, Edgar's older, he's suppose to have a protective eye over Alan right?

"I'm sorry Andrea," he said and I could hear his voice crack which only made me feel even worse, "I'll get him back. I promise."

"That's even if he's still alive. Where was Sam?" I looked at my hands, and started to play with the wedding band on my finger.

"I told you. Alan's a lot stronger than Sam, a lot stronger than me. They were both being attacked and Sam seemed to need more help," he came over to the bed, sitting next to me, then put an arm around my shoulder so now I was crying on his chest.

"You don't understand," I said crying harder.

"Of course I do, he's my brother," and I could hear a pang of irritation in his voice.

"Edgar, I'm pregnant," I wept as I looked up at him.

Edgar starred at me, his mouth slightly open.

2 more years later

"Look, that's your daddy, can you say Dada?" I asked Alendra as I sat her on my lap, showing her a picture of Alan and I from our honeymoon in Greece, 3 years ago.

Alendra sounded like she was about to say something but stopped herself and I sighed.

"What?" Edgar asked as he walked into the living room from the comic shop and started to walk to the kitchen while I picked Alendra up and followed him.

"I just can't get her to talk," I said shaking my head frustrated.

"Well she is only 1," Edgar said going into the fridge.

"She'll be 2 next month, she's supposed to start talking between 18 months to 2 years," I said, placing Alendra into a highchair and going into the cabinet.

"I'm sure she's fine, if that's what you're worried about," Edgar said going up to Alendra and touching her cheek lightly, smiling down at her and she started to giggle.

"I'm not worried about that, she just should've started talking by now," I said, "I'm glad it's summer, now I can pay more attention to her,".

"Yeah, lucky, you just had to be a teacher and choose the easy way," he said.

"Easy way? Teaching is hard work. Dealing with 15 year olds all day isn't exactly easy. They're all hormonal and going through puberty," I said making a disgusted face.

"Speaking of, where's Laddie?" Edgar asked.

"He's still at his friend's," I said pulling up a chair to start and feed Alendra, "And where's Eden?" I asked.

"She called and said she was still held up at work," Edgar said.

I nodded, "Why hasn't she taken maternity leave yet?" I asked, "She's 8 months, and her due date is coming up,".

"You know Eden, work comes first," Edgar said, "Being a Lawyer, see, now that's a hard job,".

I rolled my eyes, "Hey if we're bringing in money then who cares what we're doing as long as it's not illegal,".

"The shop still brings in money," Edgar said furrowing his eyebrows at me.

"Yeah, just as much as Alen talks," I said and she started giggling, "See and she thinks I'm funny,".

Edgar shook his head, "Funny looking and funny are two different things,".

I rolled my eyes, I guess I should tell you a couple of things that have happened within the last five years.

Firstly, after 3 years of being together, Alan asked me to marry him on my graduation night of college. I got my masters in teaching and we were married within the year. It was a really small ceremony, with only Edgar, Sam, Michael, Star, Lucy, Grandpa, and of course Laddie.

Secondly, about 3 years ago Edgar met Eden, and they recently got married last year, and now Eden's pregnant. We saved her from a vampire clan along with her mother and father who is the governor of California. And from what I was told it was a love at first sight kind of thing for them.

Thirdly, and finally, on a hunt to kill a clan in Luna Bay, the next town over, Edgar, Sam and Alan were ambushed. Which also happen to be the night I found out I was pregnant with Alendra. I don't know what happened that night, Edgar never gave me the exact details, not that I wanted them anyway, but he says they all came out of nowhere, there were dozens of them, Edgar lost sight of Alan and Sam and when he heard them both yelling, he chose to help Sam, due to Sam's lack of skill when compared to Alan's.

Edgar swore to go out everyday looking for Alan, and he did for awhile. Then when Eden found out she was pregnant she refused to let Edgar go out and put himself in that danger. And Sam couldn't go out alone, so, we had no choice but to give up the search. I still haven't given up though, Alan's still out there somewhere. He sent me a letter telling me so last year a little after he went missing.

And I never got to tell him that I was pregnant.

"Hey what time is it?" Edgar asked.

"Um it's about to be 6," I said as I took the picture of Alan and me that Alendra had out of her hands and she started crying.

"What'd you do that for?" he asked.

"I can't seem to find any of the other pictures. This is the only one I have right now and a couple of others. They're just disappearing, and I don't want her to rip it," I said as I picked her up and put Alendra on the floor, letting her walk around, "Walking she'll do, but speaking, out of the question."

I put my hands on my hips as I watched her, "She'll do it on her own time. I'm going to go get the mail," Edgar sighed.

I looked at Edgar, "You just got the mail,".

"Oh, I mean, I need to go pick up some shipments," he said.

"I thought you already got some earlier this month?" I asked and I was starting to get suspicious.

Edgar cleared his throat and then shook his head, "No, see, I went to pick them up, but, they were the wrong ones. So, they told me to go back today,".

I nodded and looked down at Alendra, "Alright, well pick up Laddie on your way home, he's at Patrick's,".

Edgar nodded then looked down at Alendra as she crawled over to him, "Bye Lenny, I'll be back, love you," then he bent down and kissed her cheek then went out the door, "Bye Dre,".

"Bye," I called after him.