Their Old Home

((These Chapters Will Almost Always Be Set As Third-Person View))

The scent of dust filled William's nostrils as he stepped outside to admire familiar, sprinkling white flakes that danced in the breeze. The cold hit his face like a truck, sending shivers down his spine. He slowly stepped forwards, closing the door behind him in the process. He had lived in this cottage for as long as he had been alive, and had seen this snow many, many times before, but he still came out every Winter to admire it. It was comforting in a way. 

William only had his sister Sophie to rely on. Sure, England came and visited them, but he would leave only after a few minutes. Though Arthur was younger than the two, he seemed to be more busy. 

The two Irish twins weren't fully grown yet- but weren't young anymore. Their country was growing very slowly, causing them to be the height of an average seventh grader. Every other country was almost fully grown. That annoyed William to no end. 

"W-W-Wil-William! C-C-C'me b-back 'ns-'ns-side-de!", Sophie cried, seemingly worried and frantic.

William looked up at the sky one last time before rushing inside.

"Wh't's wrong!? D'd s'meone break in!? D'd y' burn y'rself!? Wh't happened!?", he exclaimed frantically. 

He stopped once he saw Sophie at the table, her body trembling.

"S..Sophie..?". 

He walked up to her slowly, setting a hand on her shoulder and kneeling down to look at her face. She gritted her teeth, tears spilling down her face rapidly as she clutched a letter tightly. William stood a bit, slowly lifting up her chin.

"Sophie.. wh't happened..?", He asked, his voice barely a whisper. 

She hugged him tightly, sobbing into his shoulder. They barely hugged each other, so this came as a surprise to the young Irish male. He shakily set a hand on her head, and the other on her back, pulling her close. He was worried as all hell, not knowing what was wrong, or what to do. 

He glanced down at the letter, and gripped her dress in frustration when he couldn't read it from where he was. He had horrible vision. 

"W-W-We h-h've t'-t' m-mov-ve!", Sophie choked out, gasping for air through her tears. 

It took William a moment to process what she had said. 

"Wh't? Sophie, we don' h've t' move!! Nobody c'n make us! Wh't 're y' talkin' 'bout?". 

Sophie slowly pulled away, and shakily handed him the letter. He leaned in close to read it, and once finished, immediately ripped it up. 

"OUR PEOPLE C'N'T TELL US WH'T T' DO!! I DON' GIVE A DAMN 'F THEY WANNA BUILD ANOTH'R TOWN, THEY C'N SUFFER! TH'S 'S OUR HOME, WE'RE TH' COUNTRY, AN' THEY C'N'T TELL US WH'T T' DO, END 'F STORY!".

"B-B-B't th-they-they're g-goin' t-t' t-te-tear 't d-dow-down-n!!".

"'LL TALK T' OUR BOSS 'BOUT TH'S!!!!". He looked at Sophie, and took a few deep breaths when he realized he was scaring her with his booming voice. 

"They're not takin' our home", he walked away, grabbing his coat and throwing it on. "Not now, not ev'r".

He stormed out, despite Sophie's pleas and begs not to. She didn't want their home destroyed, but she didn't want their people to be angry with them. She sighed, wiping away the rest of her tears. 

Needless to say, William's efforts were in vain, for everyone who dared listen tuned out after only minutes. The boy had no reasoning, besides that that was his home. His boss offered a new, fancier, bigger home, but William started screaming. He didn't want to leave his cottage. It was his home, and he vowed to never let anything happen to it. 

Well, the day came when the house was scheduled to be taken down. William stood by the door as people gathered, ready to begin deconstruction. Sophie was hiding behind nearby tree, watching the scene. She prayed for William's safety, knowing that if he started something, his boss would be called. And that wouldn't be too good. The last time William lashed out at humans, his boss locked him in a cage for a week. He said that if he wanted to act like an animal, then he would be treated like an animal. 

"GO AWAY!!", William screamed, his voice cracking a little, making a few people snicker. 

Their people didn't like them that much. 

"STOP 'T!!!", he screamed again, when a man picked him up. 

He tried squirming out of his hold, screaming and kicking, but he was too weak. 

"Why don't we lock you in a cage again?"

"Bark for us, doggy!"

"Go fetch!!"

William bit his bottom lip, his eyes filling with tears. 

"LET ME GO!!!".

The man eventually dropped him, proud of his effects on him. William looked up as people surrounded him, his eyes wide as tears started to spill. He started shaking as slurs and insults were thrown his way. Was this how people were supposed to treat their country? Isn't he supposed to be respected? 

William quickly got up, shoving his way past the crowd and finding Sophie. He tackled her in a hug, sobbing violently. Sophie immediately held him tight and close, also sobbing. She apologized over and over again on their behalf, though William felt no different about them. 

They sat there in the snow, holding each other as the cottage they shared so many memories with was burned to the ground, along with all of their possessions. William was so sure he could save it. He apologized quietly, over ten times, and Sophie forgave him. It wasn't his fault. 

Soon, Sophie looked up, and stared. The people were gone. The house was gone. All that remained were the ashes of what once was theirs. 

William looked up at her slowly, shaking. Sophie looked back at her with a tiny, sad sigh. 

And thus, their old home became only a distant memory.