Chapter 19: You Be Grey and I'll be Swayze

"Happy love day."

Camila rolled over on the mattress, eyes popping open when she felt a sharp sting touch the dimples at the base of her spine. Rolling back with a start, the brunette yelped in surprised, scrambling into a sitting position and turning around. Lauren sat in the middle of the bed, an apologetic look in her eye. For a moment she forgot where she was, looking down and realizing she had fallen asleep hours ago in a sports bra and a pair of shorts that left nothing to the imagination.

"What on earth?"

"Oops." The green eyed girl smiled sheepishly. "I guess I missed a thorn."

"A thorn?" Camila rubbed her eyes with the side of her hand. "Oh Lauren, did you really do this again?"

"Yeah." Lauren held out the white rose in her hand, smoothing out the petals and snapping off the last thorn that had just served Camila as the world's worst wakeup call. "I got it from the cute little florist on the end of the block this afternoon. Do you like it?"

"I love it." Camila shook her head, taking the flower and at the same time, leaning forward and kissing Lauren softly on the cheek. "Thank you."

"That's not all." Lauren arched backwards, these strength in her core impressing Camila as she leaned off the side of the bed and picked up a small black box, holding it out. "I got you this as well."

"Oh my gosh Lauren, we said no presents." The brunette scolded, taking the box and opening the lid. Inside on a small velvet pillow sat a charm for her bracelet; a small silver heart. The symbol was atypical, for rather than the traditional cookie cutter heart shape, she was staring down at the silver grooves of an actual human heart. It was an adorable ode to their current nerdy endeavours in life, and an even more adorable of an ode to the heart in all it's forms.

"I saw it in the window and I had to get it, sorry." Lauren shrugged, placing her hand gently on Camila's knee. "I know you've been working really hard recently, and everything's all stressful and shit with the lab exams, but I figured you deserved something sweet."

"I hate how much I love you." Camila laughed, holding the charm in her hand as she leaned forward and attacked Lauren's lips. The green eyed girl inhaled sharply through her nose, arms winding around Camila and pulling her into a snug embrace. "I guess it's a good time to admit that I got you a little something too."

"No way." Lauren smirked.

"We're just terrible at the no gifts rule." Camila placed the charm back in the box and hopped out of bed, hurrying out into the main room and grinning when Riley stirred from her fluffy bed by the corner of the apartment. When the dog darted into the kitchen, the brunette pet her head in greeting then briskly used an old red solo cup to measure out a serving of dry kibble and dropping it into her dish. The German shepherd trotted over happily and stuffed her face down into the food. Checking the clock on the back of the oven and the darkness outside the window, Camila's jaw dropped.

"Lauren, did I sleep through the entire day?" She called over her shoulder.

"Yeah." Lauren replied, stepping out of the bedroom and flexing the muscles in her back. "But it's okay Camz, you've done nothing but school for the whole week, you deserved a Saturday off."

"Ugh, I'm sorry." Camila ran her fingers through her hair. "It's already dark out, I ruined your Valentine's day."

"Really, it's okay." Lauren had on a fuzzy long sleeved grey sweater and a pair of black leggings, her long hair a shiny dark brown and curtaining either side of her face. "Hey, did you see the little Valentine's collar I got Riley? It's adorable."