ONE

WE HAVE AN INTERACTIVE COMMENT SECTION, JOIN IN IF YOU DARE 😈

~~~~

Ah, there she is - Cara Green, sitting as still as a statue. Anyone who knows Cara would know that stillness is not her natural state, but her present predicament calls for it.

She is sitting comfortably on a leather chair which should already have her butt frame sculpted on it given the fact it is her go-to chair when visiting. Cara got her limbs sprawled out, back firmly pressed into the seat, and left hand resting lazily on the armrest. Her right hand is propping up her chin, while her teeth chew on her black nails. She's fidgety, adjusting her position every now and then - probably from trying to hold in all that nervous energy.

You see, two weeks ago, Cara got a call that shattered her heart. Not that boy leaving you heartbreak, but the heartbreak of knowing you might lose the person that brings you ice cream and suggest you egg his car. Her mom, Brianna Green, is a force to be reckoned with - a superhero in her own right. At 53, she's what the cool kids these days would call "lit" - she's got a wild, unconventional way of thinking that's rubbed off on Cara. Independent, strong-willed, funny, a total psycho and most of all, a person with a good heart. But at this moment, Cara is not feeling independent.

Cara's late father would always tell her that she was exactly like her mum in terms of character, he would say, "Attitude like your mama but a face like mine."

Martin Green was a fire-fighter, he died in the line of duty five years ago leaving Cara to experience her first heartbreak.

She's staring intently at the heart monitor, realizing just how fragile life can be. That machine represents everything that's keeping her mom alive, and the thought of it stopping terrifies her. Suddenly, the sound of the door creaking open snaps Cara back to reality.

The test results are out.

This is the last place Dr Andrew wants to be, mostly because he is frightened of Cara.

Why?

Cara continuously teases him about her imaginary sexcapades with him in his office. In Cara's defence, it was fun to tease him, it helped her pass time plus the poor guy is always mortified.

His facial expressions are everything.

That is why he didn't even need to talk, Cara can see that her mum's condition has gotten really bad from his shaky hands, the sweat running down his face and his feet planted in one position.

"How bad is it?" Cara asks, her voice shaking.

"S-she needs surgery, soon."

Cara falls back on the chair trying to process the new information. Everything is happening so fast.

Dr Andrew on the other hand didn't expect his announcement to go this smoothly, so he isn't going to ruin it by comforting her. He slowly backs away, leaving Cara to the dreadful news that her mum is dying.

Brianna always hated the word "cancer", most of her friends fought the sickness and lost. As dramatic as Brianna is, she would rather die in a club while living her life to the fullest, than being trapped with heart monitors, tubes and an oxygen mask. If she can see herself right now, she will throw up.

She withheld the information from Cara as long as she could. But two weeks ago she broke down and ended up in the hospital, there was no hiding it anymore.

Ovarian cancer, within the span of two weeks, Cara knew all she needs to know about it, which is surprising because Cara is not the book type. It's not like it helps, what her mum really needs is money.