xvi. the rise

Alright! Here's the second-to-last chapter of Part I!

This one is a little more emotionally intense than the other ones, so brace yourself.

I hope you enjoy!

A M O R A

Amora felt a strange sense of pride as she and Sif passed through one of the many secret gateways between worlds. Perhaps it was just the awestruck look on Sif's face that she found so satisfying.

However, the pleasure was short-lived as they passed the first village of Vanaheim. It was desolate. The shacks were in shambles from a recent raid, the women moved with despair from a recent loss, and the children cried out with tears from a recent fright. But no men were in sight.

Lorelei, Amora thought.

The sun set and the two women set up camp in the forest. Lying down to rest, Amora and Sif both discussed their plan. The raven-haired warrior was naturally eager to face Lorelei's army in battle, but the sorceress was quick to correct her.

"We do not know the extent of my sister's control, let alone her army." She held up the collar that had silenced her. "We must end this at the source. We must find Lorelei and stop her."

As soon as the sky had begun to lighten, the pair continued their journey to Asgard. A tense silence overtook their ride through the forests of Vanaheim as both women grew lost in thought.

Sif finally broke the silence. "Amora, what was Karnilla talking about in the dungeon when she mentioned your inability to ascend?"

"I'm not sure," she admitted, "She spoke of some unknown potential I possess but have yet to discover or wield." Amora shook her head. "It's probably just another lie."

Sif's eyes darkened. "She wants you as a weapon."

"I don't understand what she could see in me that would suggest great power."

"Well, you did enthrall a guard with nothing but your eyes earlier."

Amora opened her mouth, but a sudden shout stopped her.

"Amora! Sif!"

Recognizing the voice, the two women looked back.

"Loki?" Sif called, leaping off her horse just as the prince burst through the underbrush, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine," His worried gaze automatically turned to Amora. "Are you alright?"

She dismounted her horse, watching Loki with careful eyes. With Lorelei on the loose, no man could be trusted.

"I am," she spoke, "Why are you not with the others?"

Loki took quick steps toward her, his worried eyes scanning her for any sign of injury, and she almost backed away.

"I have been searching for you in the forest since you disappeared. I only stopped when I saw Erik's village burning."

Sif's eyes widened. "The village was ablaze?"

Loki nodded. "The few surviving women told me that Lorelei had come and ordered the men to destroy everything. I assumed that you would take a less direct route to Asgard, so I came this way searching for you."