1

Laurice
"Mommy has to go now, I love you baby."
"Bye bye mommy, I love you." My baby girl kissed my cheek and hugged my before running off into the room.  I smiled before walking out the house and into my car.

My name is Laurice Brown. I'm a single mother and have a 5 year old daughter named Laina. (Lay-na)We live in an apartment complex in Atlanta. I work as a stripper trying to provide for her. I got pregnant with my baby at 20 years old. As soon as the daddy found out, he left me. After five years of our relationship, he kicked me out with nowhere to go. I stayed at my best friends house until I got on my feet. Life was hard, and it still is. Every night I break my back to make sure my baby has everything she needs.
I pulled up to the club and went through the back. I got to my dressing room and got changed.
"Hey girl." One of my friends here, Candy said.
"Hey candy, how ya been."
"Good how bought you?"
"Struggling, same as always."
"Awe, how's my baby girl?"
"Ain't nothing changed, she still the same bubbly girl as always." We shared a laugh.
"Diamond, your up!" Our boss yelled. I sighed while putting on my mask and walked out. I got on the pole and did my thing. As I was doing some tricks I noticed a man who was staring at me. He was very attractive. He had a sharp jawline, and pink plump lips. He had on shades so I could barely see his eyes. Our eyes lock for a split second before I looked away and continued working. Once I was done I collected my money and walked off. I started counting my money. 15,000. Damn, tonight was a good night.
"Diamond, a man wants a private dance in room three." I huffed and put my money away. I walked into the room and saw the same guy from earlier. I walked over a gave him a lap dance. After a few songs I stood up and got ready to leave. He grabbed my arm and turned me around.
"What's ya name ma?"
"I don't think that's any of your concern sir." He chuckled.
"I'm August, can I get ya number?" I took his shades off and looked at him. He was beautiful.
"You can give me yours." He nodded in agreement.
"Whea's ya phone at." He smirked. I looked down and realized I didn't have my phone nor was there a pen or pencil in the room.
"You got lucky." I said holding my hand out for his phone. He smiled and handed it to me. I put my number in and saved it as Diamond🤤🖤.
"So ya name Diamond."
"Mmmmm, yes and no." I smiled walking away.
"What's ya real name?"
"Have a good night August."
"You too ma." He said before I closed the door.  I changed back into my clothes and walked to my car.
"Aye!" Someone shouted. I turned around and saw August. I waited for him as he jogged over to me.
"Wassam, ma?"
"Hey." I said as we walked.
"So you gonna tell me ya name?"
"Not yet." I said smiling. He chuckled at me.
"Why?"
"Are you from Nola?" I asked.
"How you kno?"
"Your accent gave away." We smiled.
"Whatchu doin Friday?" He asked.
"Nothing that I know of,why?"
"Let me take you out."
"Like on a date?"
"Call it what ya want ma." I thought about it.
"I'll consider it." He smiled.
"Alright den, you have a good night baybeh." He opened my door for me.
"You too mister August." He closed my door and walked away. I drove to my best friend , Brianna's, house. We've know each other since 4th grade. She's always been there for me, through my ups and downs. I pulled up and walked in using the key I had.
"Hey Bri." I saw her holding a sleeping Laina.
"Hey girl, how was work?"  She asked as we walked to the kitchen. I smiled thinking about August.
"Ooooo, you found a nigga!" I giggled.
"His name is August and he asked to take me out on Friday."
"Is he cute?"
"Perfect." I thought about him.
"Did you say yes?"
"I told him I'd consider it." She straight faced me.
"Did you at least get his number?"
"I gave him mine."
"Let me tell you something, the very first time you either see him or come in any type of communication with him you better tell him that you will go." I laughed at her.
"Yes ma'am." She smiled.
"Mama?" Laina said while rubbing her eyes.
"Yeah baby it's me." I grabbed her.
"How was work?"
"It was something, did you have fun with TT Bri?"
"Mhmm." She nodded falling asleep on my shoulder.
"Thanks again Girl, I'll see you later."
"No problem, by Lauri, bye nana."
"Bye bye TT Bri." We walked out the door and headed to our apartment. Once we got there I put her in her bed since she already had pjs on. I put my money in my safe, took a shower and went to sleep.
-------------------------------
The next day
I was at my part time job, which is at AppleBees.
"Lauri we got customers at table 7!"
"Ok!" I grabbed my notepad and walked to the table.
"Hi my names Laurice, and I'm gonna be y'alls server today how can I help you?" I said not looking up, but when I did, lord almighty. It was August and a man who looked like him.
"Wassam miss Laurice, can I get a coke." August asked smirking. I laughed.
"Sure August, and you sir?"
"Lemme get a Pepsi."
"Alright I'll be ri-." I got cut off when a pair of arms wrapped around my leg. I looked down and saw my baby.
"Hi mommy!" She cheesed making me smile.
"Hi baby, how was school?"
"Good, we learned about ad-ad-addiction." I frowned and heard a few chuckles making me giggle a bit.
"You mean addition?"
"Yeah whatever it's called." She shrugged and looked at August and the man.
"Hi." She waved to them.
"Wassam lil mama." They said together making her laugh.
"I'll go get y'alls drinks, Nana go sit at the table and I'll help you with your homework in a sec."
"Can I sit here mommy, they funny." I thought for a second.
"Sure, buh I swear if anything happens to my baby that's both of y'all asses."
"Ain't nothing gonna happen ma." August said.
"Oooo mommy, you said a bad word." Laina pointed at me. I gave her a mean playful look. She laughed and sat in the booth with them.