Discoveries

I jump out of the bed and look at him.

"What are you doing in my room?" I ask him through wide eyes.

"Your room?" He asks with a questionable expression. "I claimed this room first."

I peer around and feel embarrassed. This is his room. I then look down and realize that I am only wearing a thin, see-through white tank top and ripped jeans. My pink bra is extremely noticeable and I quickly reach for the thin blanket folded at the end of the bed to pull around my torso. The blanket is cold and stiff, but I make it work in wrapping it around my body. I like him, but I don't want him seeing me like this.

"I'm sorry." I squeak while backing up towards the door, but he jumps out of bed and walks towards me.

"Mistakes happen, and some are better than others." He says with a smile, but I feel too embarrassed to return to grin. "You can stay here for the night if you'd like. I don't mind sharing the bed."

"Are you sure?" I ask while gripping the blanket tightly to my chest.

"Yes, I'm positive. We can sleep back-to-back if that will make you feel more comfortable."

"Okay, thanks." I whisper while crossing the floor for the bedside.

I slide back into the bed and allow my back to face him, but it feels more awkward this way. We aren't talking. I am just laying with my back to him, ignoring him like he isn't actually beside me. I debate on turning over, but that would mean I would go against his suggestion. I decide to do it anyway and when I do I notice him sitting up on the bed with his legs crossed on the blankets and his elbows are resting on his knees. His head sits on his hands while he looks to me with the widest grin imaginable.

"What?" I ask.

"You came to my room thinking it was your room? That is the oldest trick in the book."

"Go to sleep." I mumble while turning back over to face the window.

"I'm sorry that I am too attractive for you to resist, Nora. Next time I will try to conceal my attractiveness so that you don't come wandering into my bedroom at night in search of a pretty face."

"Goodnight, Brenan." I say in a louder tone this time.

"Well, you know, if you are in search of a pretty face, you can always result to a mirror." He says in a more serious tone now and I feel my cheeks growing warm from the sweet compliment. "Goodnight, rebel girl." He whispers and I allow his warm back to press to mine.

I look out through the window and his warmth penetrates my skin through my thin shirt. I feel tense at first, but eventually I relax and allow myself to fall into a deep sleep. The sound of Brenan's light snoring acts as a lullaby and soon enough sleep ebbs its way into my body.

***

The next morning I awake to light pouring in though the tall window next to the bed. I pull the pillow over my head to block out the sunlight, but when I realize that it is impossible, I decide to get out of bed. I pull on my jacket and my cloak and trudge into the living room to grab my pistol. Brenan is nowhere to be seen and even when I walk into the living room and kitchen, he is gone without a trace.

I decide to shrug off his disappearance, slip on my boots, and walk out into the hallway where Roth stands with Harley. I look to the handsome young Commander who is addressing the young boy. He shoots me a smile and winks at me and I then remember the deal I made with him last night.