54. Epilogue

It took Aimee three years to set her life straight and decide she wanted to spend the rest of it with Joel. They married and moved to Corpus Christi where they both found jobs at Texas A&M University. They spend as much time as they can on the beach, and their oldest daughter is a world-class swimmer.

Colleen divorced her husband and became a yoga and meditation instructor. She reconciled with her daughter and is now a devoted grandmother. Although she often has a special man in her life, she refuses to marry again.

Bonnie’s husband died of a sudden heart attack a year after the conference. After waiting a decent interval, Bonnie married her massage therapist and lived happily ever after.

Doug became a senior vice president and continued hating his job right up until the day of his retirement. His wife left him for a woman at the Macy's cosmetics counter, and his second wife only wants his money. Doug’s son Charles became a lawyer and has a reputation for questionable courtroom tactics.

Nathan’s relationship with Bonnie dropped off after she remarried but he stayed in touch with Colleen for many years until he and his wife were killed in a small plane crash while vacationing in Alaska.  Colleen and Bonnie leave flowers on his grave whenever they’re in Dallas.