Ai-ya

I was alone in my room. I stared at the window, seeing stars that shines above wishing that I will be alright. I knew I'll leave soon, I was running out of time. I am fighting this disease without a cure since 16 years old.. 

My therapy just keeps me alive. Everyday, my arms and legs are getting shaky and stiff. I was transferred in a new institution which is more expensive and provides appropriate care for my condition.

Each day, I'm getting weaker and weaker till one part of my body stops responding. I'm on a wheel chair now, I couldn't walk straight and one day, I won't be able to use my legs, not a single move. My mom is a vendor, while my dad works as a factory worker. I have a little bro and sis which makes me the eldest. If this disease didn't exist, I'm helping my mom to take care of my siblings, I am studying and a volleyball player. All of these things will just be a part of my dream.. 

Patients here believed in a Goddess. A Goddess that I've never heard before, Neither Greek one nor Roman. Her name was Ai-ya, they called her "Goddess".Since I'm new here in this institution I don't know much about her. Sathena, my new friend with the same disease as she  told me that:

" Ai-ya, is r-ea-l-l-ly b-e-e -autif-f-f-u-l-l. S-s-h-he m-makes me st-trong and I b-b-believe t-that I will overc-c-come this d-d-disease." she said. Though speaking is very difficult for her. 

She couldn't walk nor stand anymore, I'm trying not to imagine myself to be like that, but I know I will soon. It's almost a year. Everyday becomes more difficult for me. I've been reading books, my penmanship gets worse as if I'm a grade school student trying to learn cursive writing and it's not aligned. I really feel bad, good thing that my speaking ability is okay, for now. I wonder who really is Ai-ya? I want her to appear in my dreams so I could talk to her. As I lay down to bed, I immediately fell asleep. No dream, just a normal sleep..

The next day, the nurse who used to take care of Sathena and I informed me that Sathena died in her sleep. I was really sad, she is my only companion in this institution. Now, I feel nervous. Am I going to die next?

Another day has passed, I set my back to my bed and sleep and I was dreaming. I was in a meadow, green grass tickling my soles as I walk. I stopped and stare at my feet. Am I really walking? I try to move my left foot, I'm normal again. I run so fast, circling around the meadow enjoying the natural smell of nature. Flowers, grass, trees and the sound of birds flying in the sky. 

" It seems you are having fun in my meadow, Priscilla." An unknown voice spoke behind me. I haven't heard this voice before, soft & sweet. 

I spin around and my jaw dropped in surprise. She is wearing a flowing white dress, black haired and her feet was bare. Her skin was so beautiful I couldn't explain how beautiful she was. I'm speechless. She smiled at me that I could see her rosy cheeks.

" How did you know my name?" 

She stepped forward and cupped my face.

"I'm Ai-ya, I'm sure you've heard about me."

"Will I survive this disease?" I ask her, as my tears flow down my cheeks.

"You are a brave young lady, Priscilla. You are strong and I've been watching you since you are sick. You may be weak physically but what you didn't know that it makes you a fighter. I may not guarantee that you will heal but I want you to enjoy the days you have and spend your time wisely. "

She and I knew that I will die soon, I must prepare for it. She wiped my tears with her soft hands and embraced me just like my mom did when I feel weak. 

" Don't cry my child. It's too early to think of death, spend each day you live till your heartbeat stops. I love you child, many people love and care about you."

She released me and walks slowly away from me. She disappeared in the bright light and I was alone. I woke up and spent each day with happiness as I could.

After 3 years, Priscilla undergone therapies she become weaker and every part of her body stops functioning. In those years, she shared her stories with her companions about Ai-ya. We are destined to have struggles in life, it makes us stronger , just live your life with happiness till the last day of your life.

Priscilla died in her sleep and she is with Ai-ya, forever.