Like a Tortoise.

"Noah, you're late!" Emily shouted over the classical music, causing everyone to turn their heads towards the door. 

Daniel sighed. this had been the third time Emily had shouted over the music and he had been forced to re play the track because everyone had gotten distracted. 

Noah apologised and swiftly joined the rest of the dancers at the barre, having to put his shoes under the barre vertically so they weren't a hazard, and because he didn't have time to go to the lockers. He fit into the smallest space, definitely not big enough for him to do barre work in,  just to be behind Jacquie.

"Hey, you." She whispered teasingly, and Noah smiled. He had felt slightly embarrassed about being late, but seeing Jacquie had gotten rid of those feelings. He needed to work out what they were actually doing in this class though.

Daniel hesitated over the play button on the stereo, noticing Noah was looking from side to side to work out what position everyone was starting the exercise in. "We're just doing pliés, Noah. Demi pliés in first and second, then full pliés. Both sides." 

Noah nodded, "Right, okay, thank you." 

"Go behind Richelle, at least if you get lost you can copy from her." Daniel started the music again before Noah could get the chance to object. Jacquie was slightly insulted Daniel obviously didn't have confidence in her, and she sadly looked at Noah as he reluctantly left his place. He transferred to the other barre, noticing Richelle didn't even look at him as he switched.

Everyone had the same, bored expression on their faces every time their knees bent, and all Noah could think of was how much more fun ballet was when they did it in studio A. He reckoned that was probably because in those classes, he got to stand next to Jacquie. 

He was busy daydreaming when Richelle turned round and her eyeline went from straight ahead to slightly higher, looking Noah in the eyes. He was quite a few inches taller than her. "Other side." She muttered through gritted teeth, and Noah snapped out of it. He quickly spun around to the other side and pliéd before Daniel could catch sight of him.

"Right stop." Emily shouted, once again, over the music. Daniel rolled his eyes, but before he could ask what the reason was this time, Emily went up to Noah.

"What's wrong?"

Noah was confused, and looked at Jacquie who was concerned, then back at Emily. "Nothing, i just forgot how many pliés we were doing on each side."

"You were daydreaming." Richelle said, sternly. He slowly looked at her while frowning and questioned why she was ratting him out to Emily. He could get punished for this!

"No, it's my fault." Jacquie interrupted before Emily could retaliate, "I distracted Noah and so he was late turning around."

Emily glared at her but then her face relaxed, "Well, thank you for your honesty. Noah, pay attention."

Richelle was astounded and scoffed loudly. "She didn't even look at Noah during the exercise! He just wasn't paying attention to what was happening right under his nose." She realised what she had just said could have a much deeper meaning, and hoped Noah would catch on to it.

"Richelle, it's fine. I only wanted a small ballet exercise anyway, to fill the time slot you were supposed to show me your duet in." Emily said, emphasising the sentence to give the impression Richelle hadn't been ready to perform. Richelle was always ready to perform. She couldn't have the team thinking their dance captain was unprepared.

Richelle looked at Noah and hoped he'd stick up for her but he was busy looking at Jacquie.

Emily clapped her hands, "Put the barres to the side and have a fifteen minute break." The dancers all looked at each other in surprise, because Emily never gave spontaneous breaks. "Daniel, my office. Richelle, you too, but hang around in here. I need to speak to Daniel first."