Chapter Twelve

Miles

Miles paced around on his father's property riled that two vampires got the upper hand. He was unable to shake the feeling of anger. They'd been searching for Kaliska. His wolf was to aggressive and high tempered to calm down enough for him to shift back. Miles needed to protect Kaliska.

Maia walked up to the house. Stepping out, Iris waved out to her. "I've been waiting for you."

Pointing to Miles, nearly up the porch, Maia asked, "he still hasn't shifted back?"

"He will." Iris glanced at Miles shaking her head. He lacks the ability to compose self.

Miles glanced up. His eyes sank into Maia, growling. He could smell Kaliska on her; fresh and too close to her skin.

Ignoring Miles attitude toward her, Maia narrowed her eyes. "What?" Her tone was steamed with warning.

In a swift motion, Miles launched himself at her, savagely.

"Miles," Iris snarled.

Maia looked as young as Miles but was much older and stronger. She caught Miles in midair pinning him with her arms snaked around his body. Maia tightened around Miles neck, his claws scratching at her arms and legs.

There was no getting out of her grip. Slowly Miles relaxed, the energy inside him lessening. "It's time for you to shift back. Someone should have put you in your place. Submit."

It took a while but Miles heart slowed, shifting human. Maia looked at the cuts on her arms; it quickly healing.

Iris tossed clothes into Miles face. "Get dress."

Miles stood, wobbly. He kept his eyes locked on Maia as he put on some clothes. "I can smell her on you." His snarl broke through his gritted teeth.

"Who are you yelling over?" Mac came out.

Maia shook her head. She had no time for this. "I couldn't help notice how Renee watched Kaliska. I followed him today. He was stalking her and I intervened."

"And what about before?" Miles asked.

Maia frowned before realizing what he meant. "She is a free woman. Belongs to no pack and no mate."

Miles growled moving toward Maia. "I will put you down again," she warned. "I'm not here to hold your hand. Do not forget I was alive before even your father here. I am your elder. And...she does not belong to you. I more than anyone here has a right to know her."

Not hearing anymore of his whining, Maia walked off.

***

Kaliska could complain on how her morning was already beginning but kept her mouth closed as she walked into the kitchen dropping the three packs of steaks onto the counter.

"Hey sis, how's your—''

"Pointless," Kaliska scowled back not in the mood for Jake's usual.

"Come on. Cheer up sis. Today's a special day." Jake leaned against the counter facing towards Kaliska, now putting the steaks in the freezer.

"Doesn't feel special," Kaliska answered back.

Jake stuffed his hands in his pocket, shaking his head in disapproval, as if the day was special, specifically for him. "It's your birthday. That's an exciting thing."

After Kaliska put the meat away, she stood beside him, arms folded over her chest. Abasing her head, she dreaded the day's events, feeling it growing worse by the minute.

"He's going to call you sis. I've noticed on more than one occasion on how much he's into you."

It was like Jake was reading too much into her thoughts and she sighed. "I do want Miles to call me...but that's not what's bothering me."