Drum Circle

Day: 1 Days Left: 30

Bam bam, go the beat of the drums.

Bam Bam bam the drums release their sound.

Bam bam unrestricted notes disperse into the air.

Bam Bam bam notes united in rhythm.

The vibrations emitted by the drumming are like a tiny army of particles tickling my molecules encouraging me to move. I allow my body to move freely in swaying motions along to the rhythm of the drums. The flickering bonfire flames catch the gold highlights in my brown hair. My long white skirt and peasant top are the perfect contrast to everyone else dressed in dark fall colors. The sway of my skirt against my legs becomes part of the dance. Moving to the beat of the drums is an essential part of the ceremony. My power is steady in between levels of consciousness. I direct the fall equinox drum circle with confidence and ease.

“Here you are Iris.” A new friend says passing a basket of freshly cut white flowers to me. The white flowers are one of our offerings to mother earth and her army of caretakers tonight. The white oleander emits a pleasant vanilla like aroma that reminds me of cake. A scent so pleasant it perfectly disguises the plants true poisonous nature. The girls purple cape reminds me of my sister Violeta. I wish she was here. I hate how she alienates herself from everyone. She should be the one directing the drum circle. Her powers are greater than mine. I’ve seen her scanning spaces and I’ve even caught her communicating with spirits. It’s sad that she has too many fears to leave that door open.

“Iris” says another new friend passing me a bowl of salt. The action snaps me back into the present. I have a great new group of friends at college. They are good hearted, like minded participants of the drum circle I have organized to form a group consciousness. There is power in numbers. United, our energy becomes stronger. Now that I am away from home I am intent on making my powers greater.

The drum circle is large tonight. The expansive clearing in the middle of the state park is more than adequate considering this is our first drum circle. More people showed up than I expected. There are many new faces here tonight that I do not recognize. People continue to arrive long after the bonfire was lit.

Gradually then suddenly I get an uneasy sensation in my stomach. It is a sign of an evil presence among us or very near. I’m still working on strengthening my powers, that’s why drum circle gatherings are so important. It’s the uniting of individuals to create a greater more powerful unit.

It’s time to finish casting the circle. I pour the salt into the water then walk around sprinkling the salt water combination to seal the circle. No one else will be allowed to enter the protected circle. Any new arrivals will have to remain outside of it. Nothing evil can touch us while we remain inside it.

We continue with our planned rituals and offerings at the drum circle but an uneasy feeling stays with me the rest of the evening.