Terror? In a Bus

"The bus departs in a minute," the conductor said that fine Monday morning. All and sundry hurriedly boarded the bus and within a minute or two the bus was off to the other side of the city. The 'city express' as the locals called it was a long sixty-seater bus with overhead racks where passengers kept their luggage.

At the back of the bus were four police officers happily using the bus to get to the airport, which was on the other side of the city.

The policemen were John, Andrew, Jack and Philip. They were seated at the back bench and were going to the airport to meet a old retired police officer who used to be their commanding officer.

A few minutes after the bus departed all the passengers heard a loud bang originating from the front of the bus. After everyone got back their composure, all were surprised at what they saw. The most unusual of men was holding what appeared to be a long rifle. The man who appeared to be about the height equivalent of his rifle had a long unkempt beard. He was wearing odd clothes made of tweed which seemed to be from the last century and a large hat that made him look utterly ridiculous.

He had hit the metallic door of the bus thus causing the laud bang. The passengers were torn between laughing their hearts out and panicking in fear. None had ever witnessed such a sight and thus all were curious as to what the man was planning to do. All were so intrigued by the man's physical stature that they were completely oblivious of the rifle he was carrying and the danger they could be in.

"Put your money, phones, and jewellery in the bag," he demanded as he gave the bag to the passengers to pass around. "You've got to be kidding me," John whispered to Jack. "Don't stop the bus until we reach the airport," the strange man shouted at the driver. He appeared to have relaxed a little as he thanked the passengers for his financial boost while telling them that it would not have been possible without their participation. The atmosphere became calm for a few minutes.

"For clarification purposes, this is a robbery, not a hijacking," the man said. "Is there a difference?" A passenger asked. "Yes. I'm not interested in the bus or you passengers," the man answered. "So are you a robber?" Another passenger asked. "Yes I am," the man answered.

"May I ask a question?" Jack asked the self proclaimed robber. "Yes you may ask," the robber answered. "Why are you doing this?" Jack asked. "I do not need to give you a reason," the robber answered rudely. "I realise it now," Jack whispered to his fellow officers. "Realise what?" Philip asked while also whispering. "His plan is perfect. Due to his diminutive stature, the seats in the bus are taller than him thus hiding him. This makes the traffic officers or any officer outside not know what is going on in the bus for they will judge the situation as normal from their position outside the bus. We have to put an end to this spectacle. I have a plan." Jack whispered to his colleagues. "What's the plan?" Andrew asked. "Philip, I need you to charm the robber into joining him. I need the rest of you to cover my me as I try to take the rifle." Jack explained.

"That's a really nice rifle," Philip said. "Which side are you on. He is a robber," John remarked. "Leave him alone. Just who do you think you are? What is your name? The robber asked Philip. "My name is Philip," he answered. "So Philip, do you want to join me in the fine art of professional robbery?" The robber asked. "It's as if you read my mind." Philip stated. "Good, join me at the front of the bus," the robber said as he walked to the front. "Now it's your turn," Philip whispered to Jack.

"You never told us your name," Jack said. "My name is Muffin Dough," he answered. The passengers burst into laughter. Philip and Jack controlled themselves in order not to spoil the plan. "Muffin," Jack called. "It's Sir Muffin to you. What do you want? He asked. "I can make you very rich," Jack said. "How?" Muffin asked. "I have in my possession something great. You wouldn't have to worry about food, clothes, and shelter for the rest of your life." Jack explained. "Interesting. Where is this fortune?" He asked. "Its in my bag," Jack answered. "Come and open it," Muffin demanded. Jack was relieved for the little man had fallen for his trap. His gun and handcuffs were in his bag and this was his chance to get them.

He took the bag off the overhead rack as they were approaching the airport and put it on the floor next to the small man. "Open it!" Muffin demanded. Jack signalled to Philip before reaching slightly into his bag. He grabbed his handcuffs and knocked the rifle Muffin was holding slightly away from his hand. Philip then grabbed him while Jack completely snatched the rifle and proceeded to handcuff him.

"Philip, you're a policeman!" Muffin exclaimed. "Yes, together with my three colleagues," Philip said. "I see the acting classes paid off," John stated. The four of them burst into laughter. "You tricked me. I'll get you all for this one day," Muffin said angrily. "Technically, I didn't trick you," Jack said. "You are still going to have something that will make you not worry about clothes, shelter and food for a large period of your life," he continued.

"What is that?" Muffin asked. "A prison sentence," Jack answered as everyone including the passengers alighted the bus while laughing loudly.

###