Eternal Spring YA short story collection

Camp Cauldron

By

Juli Alexander

My phone vibrated and I hit Ignore for the fifth time. I wasn't ready to talk to Sophie after the stunt she'd pulled. Turning back to the television, I tried to convince myself I was watching the show. If I'd known she'd be so stupid, I would have taken out that dusty cauldron and unused potion book and learned how to brew a common sense potion.

Mom had been on the land line for twenty minutes. Finally, I heard her hang up, and she stepped into the family room to check on me.

“Emma, I talked to Sarah.”

“Mm,” I said.

Mom had already kicked off her heels and was walking around in her top, skirt, and pantyhose. "She told me you're ignoring Sophie's calls."

“Yep.” I picked up the remote and muted the television.

Mom sat down at the other end of the overstuffed couch and sighed as she sank into the cushions. “I hate it when you girls fight. It takes so much of my energy.”

My mother and Sophie's mother were good friends, which was great most of the time, but not so great when we fought. “She told you why, didn't she?” I maybe whined as I said it.

Mom's brown hair, frizzy from her long day at work, bobbed as she nodded. “I'm sorry, honey. I know you were looking forward to that Spring Break trip.”

“What kind of idiot gets caught sneaking out of the house three weeks before Spring Break!”

My mother narrowed her eyes. “I'm going to ignore your emphasis on 'getting caught' for now.”

Sophie and I were finally old enough to have a modicum of freedom when her mother took us to the beach. I had been looking forward to this for months! My first Spring Break trip in high school. "Mom, this stinks! I'm already packed!”

With a frown, Mom said, “I noticed, and I'm pretty sure you would have needed some of that underwear before your trip."

“Mother!”

“I am sorry, Emma. I wish we could take you somewhere, but your father and I both have to work.”

“I need a new best friend.” Sophie and I had grown up together. Our families were magic, and there weren't a whole lot of witches in Athens, Georgia. At least, not real witches. A whole lot of crystals and flowing skirts though.

“She let you down,” my mother said.

I had the perfect bathing suit ready to go. Five shopping trips and two Internet orders wasted. Instead of flirting with hot guys on the beach, I'd be stuck here in town. Alone. Everybody went to the beach for Spring Break.