Exam

Friday, 3 o’clock in the afternoon. I was in school that time, trying to finish this freaking exam. I’ve been spinning my pencil continuously trying to fill out the missing answers. Believe me, it just blows my mind. Tempted to peek on my neighboring sitmates, I felt nauseous.

Tik, tok, tik, tok. I could hear the clock run constantly. Sweat began to shed off my skin. I felt hopeless, regretting I could’ve studied earlier. I barely could write my name.

Jeremiah McCallister / Male / 15 / Denver East Highschool

I had no choice. I totally need to do this. Consequences were never at my concerns. I faced on my paper but my pupils slowly faced towards Carlo’s paper. He seemed confident on his answers. Smiling as if he could pass the test flawlessly.

A, C, D, D, B, A, C. I shaded on those letters on the exact items to be placed. Cheating was my only hope. It wasn’t a great idea but it could save me from a bad consequence. Until I finished shading all the items before the school bell rang for dismiss.

Ring! The bell rang as hard as it can. I sighed with great relief, finally finished a great burden of the day. It was 4. Time to go home.

I got up from my seat, took my brown scrawny haversack with me, wore my glasses and headed out to the corridors.

I didn’t have anybody to talk with. I was a bit loner at the moment. I walked on the hallways alone. Alone that I stayed out from crowded areas. Alone that I was the only one around.

Every step I took sounded eerie. My shoes formed some echoing sound that made me feel weird. Step by step, the shiny hallway floor was stained with dust from my shoes. I was facing on the floor while I paced my way through the hallway when something strange appeared in front of my weary eyes.

A shadow of someone appeared in front of me. I could feel the presence but I couldn’t tell where it came from. My heart started to pump harder and harder. I was sighing constantly until it felt like I was panting. I traced on the shadow to its source. Slowly, I moved my view towards the end of the corridor. There was a window. A glass window that filtered the sunset light of the sky. There was no one. No one at all. But still, I could feel the presence of someone. Someone in front of me.

I slowly paced backwards. I didn’t turn to see what’s behind me but I step backwards. As I got the courage to flee the place, I turned to my back and slowly, made a step heading towards the exit of the school campus building.

Night was approaching. The campus was getting darker but thanks to electricity, lights provided me ways to the campus.

Ring! It was 5 o’clock. I still couldn’t find my way out but I know, there were still people on the place.

I headed my way to the school’s basketball court. Maybe, there were still basketball players on to train. Yes, I could hear the squeaking sounds of the ball while it bounced its ways to the basketball ring. The court was closed but the door had a glass part of it so that you can see what’s inside. I was shocked on what I discovered afterwards.

There were no one. Nothing but a dim and empty basketball court. My hair started to rise. Every breathe I took was partly shaking. Like I was silently crying out of fear.

I couldn’t scream for help. I was stuck there like my foot got heavier than before. My voice was numb. My spinal cord were crunched in horridness. I then felt an intence presence of someone, not good.

My hands felt cold. Both of them. I hugged myself, trying to fight the coldness that I feel. I was getting very uncomfortable. Then, my phone toned as if there was a call. That tried to calm me down.

I searched on my cellphone in my backpack. It was still ringing but I couldn’t find it anywhere. My palms were sweating uncontrollably. So was my face. The phone finally stopped but I didn’t find it.

I was getting terribly nervous. I bet the time was almost 6. Time was so fast, I never even realized it existed. My things were mixed up because of the whole searching and stuff. Then, another sound made me terrified more than before.

My phone rang from inside the basketball court. I could see its lights. I could recognize it as mine but the door was locked and the court was totally blind.

I was totally petrified but my thoughts were still alive. I couldn’t move my legs, nor my arms or my head. I was like a statue formed from the ground. I was completely numbed of fear. Then, something made the night more terrifying that I wished I faint.

Drops of blood began raining in front of me. Blood that dripped on the glass pane of the door. It formed something that I can totally read. But as it was finished, I now know why this was all happening to me.

CHEAT

After that, I didn’t remember anything until I woke up in my bed in the hospital.

Days later, I discovered that Carlo was sexually assaulted and brutally murdered by the school janitor on the same day and time I’ve been on that horrifying encounter. His body was found inside the basketball court in the tiered seats of the court.