Prologue

"Papa" is a term of endearment. It represents love and affection for the man who sired and raised you, shows you are comfortable enough with your Father to be informal, using colloquial language. By doing so you express a vulnerability; which can only be expressed in the presence of unconditional love.  

Thus my "Papa" became Father on Dolores Nextlaoalli's deathbed. The love was stolen from my life as swiftly as her life was from this world. 

"A sacrifice must be payed Nextlaoalli, even if the debt owed is life itself" he whispered in my ear so vehemently, I couldn't decide if his harsh words assaulting my ears was worse than being forced to gaze upon her bloated face. Skin so blue, I thought, the warm light emitting from the candles did nothing to lie about the fact. I stumbled forward, out of his grasp. Blindly searching for anything but the truth. 

I fell. Sheets were torn and glass was broken. A crescendo of misery rang through the air as plainly as the echo of the china being split into fragments upon impact with the wooden floor. My sobs wracked my chest, unyielding and unforgiving. My gaze scrutinised the lifeless form was more, gaping at the horrorific sight of blood and excretion that was my mother. 

I could not bear another moment, fleeing the room while it tried to trap me, enjoying my solitudinous sorrow. 

Later that evening clarity prevailed, ensuing sardonic laughter to erupt from my mouth.

How bitterly morbid. Aptly satiric. And downright cruel.

Dolores means sorrow.