Chapter Seven

Past

"There she is!"

Molly kept walking, typing away at her phone as she went. She was looking for a birthday present for Sherlock. He said he didn't want anything but that didn't mean she couldn't get him something anyway.

"Her? You'd never think it."

Molly looked up, surprised to find three people walking with her. She looked to her right. One of them was a young woman with critical brown eyes. Her dark hair had one red streak in it. It hung down beside her cheek and she brushed it back as she studied Molly. Her friend was a man about her age with a vaguely familiar face. He was tall and lean and wore a sweatshirt with the rugby team's mascot on the front. Molly turned to her left and nearly groaned. This was why they were walking with her.

Laurence Redding, the hothead of her criminal investigation class. He wanted to be a police officer like his father but he had trouble with authority and was far too arrogant to get very far. Girls liked him. A future policeman who plays rugby? One with confident blue eyes and blond hair and a deep, authoritative voice? What's not to like?

Everything. Molly thought. He was too big and arrogant. Molly wanted to just punch him sometimes but she couldn't even work up the nerve to fight back verbally. He called her Little Reaper.

"What do you want, Redding?" She cursed internally as her voice wavered.

"Just wanted to introduce my friends to my Little Reaper. Luke, Abbey, this is Reaper. Say hi, Reaper."

"Hi." She muttered, flinching when he put an arm around her shoulders.

"What'cha lookin' at?" He took her phone and grimaced. "What's with you and bones, Reaper? Better yet, what's with you and the dead? They're dead. Nothing interesting except who did it."

"Everyone has their different interests. I'm more interested in the how and when. Please give me my phone back."

Abbey smiled. "You're kinda small for a grim reaper."

Molly frowned. She opened her mouth to speak but a baritone voice interrupted.

"She's small and quiet but she can easily hurt you if she had a valid reason. Doctors tend to know little things like that. Laurence, don't you have an appointment with Professor Geruty? She promised you an A if you could impress her, I'm sure. Run along."

Molly smiled as Sherlock came to stand beside her. It quickly turned into a wide-eyed look of surprise as he gently placed a hand her side and pulled her closer. Redding glared at him.

"Piss off, Freak."

Sherlock ignored him and continued. "You might want to wash up first, there's evidence of your last extra credit assignment with Doctor Nessle on your trousers. Don't worry, Abbey won't be with you much longer, whether she knew about this or not. She's got her eyes on Samuel but can't work up the nerve. Yes, Samuel, your co-captain. And Luke!" His nose wrinkled. "You reek of weed, I don't need to say much more. Run along now, children. Miss Hooper has a class to get to."

He spun Molly around and started walking.

"I don't have a class for an hour."

"I know. Hungry? I'm starving. Haven't eaten since Monday."

Molly grinned and let him lead her wherever he liked. As long as he kept his arm around her, she didn't care where they went.

**

"You're not supposed to be in my dorm with the door closed."

"I say that every time you come to mine but you never leave."