Chapter 6~ The Mind of a True Ruthless Monster

Chapter 6~ A true monster

Lucas's POV

***

  After one last glace at the destruction being caused by my hellhounds I turned on my heels swiftly and signaled to my new recruits that it was time to leave. Once the hounds had finished with their, snacks, they would return to base as trained. I hardly doubt dear Lyla can just sweep this one under the rug like before. No, I believe this time my performance was far more spectacular in comparison. As we reached the outskirts of the once enchantingly beautiful city, I created a portal to take us all to the inside of the base in order to escape the chaos and threat of being seen or caught.

          As we appeared on the other side of the portal, walking down a corridor on the eastern wing, one of my apprentices decided they would badger me with shortsighted questions.

“So Lucas, may I ask a question?” I turned to see Macklin trying to catch up and keep pace with me. Macklin was the youngest of my recruits as she was only at the young age of eleven but still very talented. Her only flaw was her overbearing curiosity.

“You already did Lilliputian.”

“I am not that small! Anyways, I meant a different question Lucas.” Macklin said this with a scowl on her face. It would seem she caught on to my insult.

“Alright, ask away.” I replied with a bored sigh as we turned a corner.

“How come we have to get to the base by one of your portals all the time? Don’t you trust us to know where it is?”

“In all honesty, no. No, I do not trust you tyros with the location of my base. However, that does not mean I don’t trust you with other things.”

“But you said that, you told us you handpicked us yourself!”

“Just because I choose you eight rouges, of a near hundred, does not mean I have to trust you one bit. As far as I know, any of you might be a double agent who’d only accepted my offer to assist dear Lyla in my own undermining.”

“Yes but still-“

“Listen Lilliputian, I don’t care for your opinion on the matter. Ergo, this conversation is over.” At that, Macklin grudgingly fell back into place with the others as we entered the dining hall.

             I took my usual seat at the head of the table as everyone else filed in. The dining hall consists of one very long table with nine chairs running down each side and a throne like chair at one end. The chair at the end was reserved for me, and only me. The table was of elegant dark mahogany wood with red silken fabric running down the center of it lengthwise. Set with white china plates in front of my and eight other chairs and utensils wrapped in napkins, the table was well prepared for a feast. Once everyone took their seats, I snapped my fingers and our food appeared. On each plate was a serving of Lobster Tails Vermouth and sides of French Fries with each person’s choice of beverage. Upon seeing his or her food, everyone began to eat.

            As we ate, I would constantly catch Macklin sending glances my way. It seem that the girl had yet to stop pondering our earlier conversation and most likely still wanted answers from me. Not long after, one of my hounds bound through the double doors into the dining hall. After seeing me, it slowed its pace to a trot and came over to my chair dropping a medium sized scroll and small brown parcel into my lap. I gently pet the hound’s head while picking up the scroll and placing the parcel into the inside pocket of my cloak.  

        Quickly reading the frail, ancient looking scroll, I tucked it into my cloak along with the parcel. Realizing that all chatter had ceased from the moment my hound had made its delivery, I stood clearing my throat and said, “Let not that minor interruption ruin our banquet. Go on and continue to dessert. I have some er, important matters to attend to.” As I began to walk away, I snapped my fingers summoning dessert to the table.

*** ~ ***

           I began to pace my study chambers back and forth in front of my desk where the parcel and scroll now sit. With a long sigh, I sit down in my office chair running a hand through my hair.

“Damn it! Not now, this cannot be happening now!” At that moment, curling white mist tinged with swirling shades of blue began to appear wrapping itself around the desk and myself.

“And yet dear, sweet little Lucas, it has already begun” It had then started laughing moving over towards the direction of my couch that was placed nearly adjacent to the desk. Its voice like nails on a chalkboard, harsh and unbearable to listen to, it was deep and heavy like a roll thunder as well.

“How the hell, did you get past my charms, curses and protective barriers?” I say in a low enraged snarl.

My question was followed by vexatious laughter, “There is no form of magic known or unknown that will ever keep me out, or weaken ever me sweetie. Or have you yet to learn?”

“Leave. I want you out now.” My eyes narrowed in anger as I watched the curling mist dissipate leaving behind yet again more laughter and the faintly heard words, “Soon dear Lucas, soon.”

I resisted the savage urge to flip the desk or tear the room apart. However, as I caught sight of the unopened parcel I calmed down a bit. Picking it up gingerly, I unwrapped it to find a small white box with a note tied to the top.

                                 Dear Brother,

                                                         Know that there is always hope

                                                  Even for you

                                                                             Still with Love,

                                                                                       Lyla

       I smiled. Lyla always was the compassionate one. Even if we are ruthless killers. Upon opening the box, I found a specially made talisman. Just what I needed to help defend against It if only I opened the parcel before It appeared in my presence.   Talismans are usually worn for repelling evil in the form of a ring or in this case, a type of amulet. The difference with this particular talisman though is that it is ten times stronger and when attacked by certain types of curses the talisman works like a mirror as it reflects the magic leaving behind no damage to the wearer.

         Lyla though seemed to have found a way to alter the workings of this one so that it shall only work against It.  Lifting the talisman by the long silver chain in one hand and twirling the actual magic piece in the other, I realized that the carvings and altogether shape was in fact one of a secret organization we both were apart of before our paths went in diverging directions. This was a talisman from the group of witches, wizards, sorceresses, and sorcerers known as The Great Occult of Sehr.

         I put the talisman over my head just as a knock erupted at the door, tucking it safely into my shirt I called out, “Enter.” Expecting it to be Macklin to pester me, I mentally readied myself for the questions and possible smart remarks. I was of course, wrong. 

A/N: I put a picture of the talisman to the left if you were wondering what that was. Also I think my updates might end up being every other week or depending on how busy I end up, every three weeks. Hope you enjoyed the chapter (I tried something new by switching the P.OV.'s since i never did that from an 'evil' character's point of veiw before) leave a comment and give feedback if you'd like.