chapter 13

"Keep marching to a different beat.."

The last line to "A Different Beat" plays through the huge speakers on the football feild, just as our squad hits the last move in our halftime routine. After a second we all breathe a sigh of relief, and sit down for a water break. Today is friday, and the night of the first game. We had been working for hours everyday this week to get our routine perfect. This was the first time we actually did perfect it. Every flip. stunt, and dance move was done correctly and timed right. I could tell we all felt very accomplished.

" Okay girls, good work today! Preform like that tonight and the crowd will go crazy!" Our coah exclaimed in her usually overly-peppy voice.

"And may the odds be ever in your favor!" Christina whispered in my ear. She always says our coachs voice sounds like Effie Trinket's from our favorite book/movie series: The Hunger Games.

I tried to stifle a giggle, but did not succeed.

"something funny girls?" coach looked at us, disapprovingly

"Of course not. were just super excited for tonight." Chris responded

"Lets hope so." she told us

yes. i thought. lets hope so.

_____________________________TIME SKIP__________________________________________

"TRIS PRIOR. get your ass out here, I know t dosent take you this long to get ready."

Christina was right. I finished getting dressed 10 minutes ago. But I couldnt stop starring in the mirror. The uniforms for cheer were ridiculous. Actually no, the outfits weren't that bad. The problem is my nerves. It feels a little weird to be so dressed up for people to be watching me all night. It was really tight. the skirt was a classic cheerleader skirt, short and semi- flowy. the top though, It was a crop top. Cut off just under my ribs. I sighed and walked out of the stall in the locker room to where chris was dressed and waiting for me. Her jaw dropped, so did Marlene's who was helping us get ready.

"Tris-" Chrissy started

"I could say the same to you." I interrupt, knowing what shes going to say. the three of us walk out to the field, arms linked, but they soon run off. Mar to find a seat with the rest of our friends, and Chris to will. I stand looking for Tobias. I soon realize he had already found me, because when I find his eyes, they're staring back at me. They trail my body and back up again as he walks over to me. His expression looks like he's trying to contain himself, or keep his face from looking to surprised. He dosent do a good job though. I kiss him for a few seconds, and I pull away ever so slightly. Our foreheads are touching, but his head is curved down- still obviously checking me out. I try not to smile.

"hey four." I say to him quietly, but still using his nickname so no one hears.

" Yes tris?" he whispers with a smile, eyes still not moving up.

I run my hand along the side of his face, from his temple to jawline gently. Then slide it along the bottom so my thumb is pressed into the bottom of his chin.

" Four my eyes-" I suddenly push with my thumb, jerking his head up and forcing his eyes to meet mine. " Are up here" I say the last part forcefully, in as threatening as a voice as possible. I guess it worked becuase he looked guilty. Before he can say anything, Zeke comes up and pulls him away.

"I thought I'd save you." I heard Zeke Not- so-quietly- whisper to him. " Your Girlfriend can be seriously scary."

Tobias looked back at me, and to let him know I was joking with him and wasnt mad, I smirked and winked. Tobias smiled back at me and replied to Zeke