Part Forty

Chapter Forty

The phone ringing disturbed them, it was Oscar's mobile, and he grimaced as he moved across the room to retrieve it.

"I would ignore it..." but he was waiting to speak to his lawyer, and that was urgent. Offering an apologetic smile, he took the call.

He was looking at being recognised as Nate's father, he had a lawyer looking into that for him, he needed to speak to Lizzie about it, that was once he knew what the whole process entailed.

Max, the lawyer he'd been recommended, was an expert, according to his sources, and he'd offered to take on the case. This call was to outline what he needed to do. But instead of over the phone, the lawyer wanted to meet him face to face for coffee. He didn't want to leave the house, not when they were at such an important cross roads, but he had to make things right, starting with Nate, and then a job. Once he had that, then he would be in the right place to prove to Lizzie that he was all that he promised he would be.

Lizzie watched him, talking earnestly into the phone and slumped onto the sofa, this was more difficult than anything she'd ever had to work through before. She liked him; she more than liked him, even though she'd only known him a couple of months. But this disagreement of sorts, this falling-out, only reinforced her fears in the whole situation. They needed to keep things separate, her and Oscar were a different subject to their role as co parents, because that's what they were, and she couldn't stress enough that it was the most important thing.

She was supposed to be visiting work, testing the waters, planning her return. She didn't feel like that now, and in honesty Oscar had given her food for thought. She did dislike her work; if she was truthful she had only gone into corporate law in an attempt to impress her parents. She didn't want to slog long hours, she wanted to live, be creative, maybe write. She'd been great in school, creative.

He's offering you that chance, a voice reminded her. And she sighed, watching as Oscar hung up the phone and avoided eye contact moving into the kitchen. She gave him a few minutes before following him.

"Something important?"

He shrugged, "I need to go in to town...a meeting. You still going into work?"

She shook her head, "no. I'm not in the mood for that now. I'll go another day."

Reaching for her hand, he gave it a squeeze, "I meant what I said earlier, I just want you to be happy, to enjoy things." He ran his free hand over his face, then sighed, "believe that part at least, you've been everything for everyone. I really want you to put you first."

She offered him a half smile, "I believe that. And I am sorry that I jumped in and thought the worst."

"And the rest?"

Lizzie shrugged, "I'm not used to trusting people. It's hard for me, ok?"

He sighed, "as long as you promise me you'll try?"

She nodded, "I can do that."

Max was a confident Aussie, lounging in the window seat of the café near Oscar's work. He was probably the same age as him, but Oscar knew he himself looked older; the lawyer had an air of serenity about him. He was the most chilled out man that he'd ever met. He offered a hand as he approached, not standing to greet him as usual protocol would dictate. Not that Oscar cared. Requesting a coffee from the barista, he sat opposite him.

"So you've got news?"

Max reached into his bag and pulled out a file, opening it and rifling through some papers, "well I've located the current legal representative for your son. And obviously I've started the process of parental recognition. That may involve a DNA test, are you on the birth certificate?"