2: Gerudo Desert

Once reaching Lon Lon Ranch, I'm greeted by familiar faces who have no recollection of me. I feel a pang in my heart, the familiar needle of anguish in it slowly puncturing deeper. I wish they remembered me. But I'm at least glad to see everyone is safe and seems to be happy. Even Ingo – who had easily turned to Ganondorf's allegiance so he could own this ranch – is happy and working alongside Talon now.

And Malon taught me Epona's Song once again when I showed her my ocarina. A wave of deep nostalgia and love washes through me while I pet Epona's velvety nose, her warm breath streaming from her nostrils as her ebony eyes watch me with serenity. She seems, in some way, calmer and more accepting of my affection than she was the first time I got her back in my previous journey. Does she somehow remember me? I wonder. I can't tell, but I'm grateful for the possibility, even if I am fooling myself.

Mounting Epona, I wave goodbye to everyone at the ranch after giving my thanks and I ride back to Hyrule Field. Looking at the map I was given while at the castle, I see that I need to go to the Gerudo Desert. Luckily, there's the pact between the Gerudo and the King, so I won't have to sneak around like in my last adventure.

Squeezing my right leg, I turn Epona in the direction of the desert and slap her hindquarters to spur her into a canter. Heading through a canyon on the outskirts of Hyrule Field, I can feel the air begin to heat up, the smell of dry sand tingling my nostrils while the sun beats down on my face, breaking a sweat on my forehead. My body begins to swell from the heat, my skin almost feeling like it's burning as we head toward the bridge that leads across a ravine that separates the Gerudo Desert from Hyrule Field.

I prepare myself to spur Epona faster so she can jump over the broken bridge I remember, only to have Epona run across a perfectly functional bridge to the other side. I halt her and look around. The tent I remember being on the other side with carpenters is gone, leaving no one on the other side. Yet another difference.

Letting out a deep sigh, as if that sigh will dispel the depression within me from missing my old adventure, I pat Epona's neck and urge her forward once more into a trot. There's no need to go fast anymore since I'm close to the Gerudo fortress. The sun is beaming down high in the sky, signalling that it's the afternoon.

As I ride Epona, I can feel a smile tugging at my lips, my heart beginning to pound against my rib cage with excitement that cascades through me. This newfound exhilaration is quickly replacing the sorrow of my nostalgia. I'm adventuring once more, helping Hyrule like I've been desiring. I miss that I don't have Navi around to talk so it's not as quiet and I hope I'll be permitted to check on everyone after this is all done.

I can see the top of the fortress ahead of me and I lead Epona, with a squeeze from my leg, up the ramp to the right. Outside the main doorway of the fortress are two Gerudo women in their standard purple outfits. Consisting of a cloth wrap over their chests, puffed pants, flat shoes, and a cloth mask over their mouths with jewellery adorning their bronze skin. They each hold ornate spears and their fire-red hair is pulled into high ponytails, their electric-yellow eyes watching me as I approach.

Halting Epona, I jump off and walk up to one of the women, showing her the letter from the King. She glances at me, then reads the letter. Bowing, she returns it.

"Once inside, turn left and head up the ramp. Follow the hallway strait until the end, turn left up another ramp and you'll find our leader," the woman I gave the letter to explains, then she looks to Epona. "We will watch your horse while you're here. She'll be up the hill, behind the fortress, with the other horses."

I nod as my thanks and head inside the taupe-coloured stone building. Inside, it's well lit and cool, despite there being no glass on the windows nor any wooden doors to keep out the desert's heat. The archways to each room are only made private by cloth curtains of varying dark colours that are all mostly tied to the side, leaving the entire building open. And the floors are all made of sand-coloured stone, which contrasts with the stone on the outside of the building.