Chapter Eight

[Genivive's Point of view]

I stared in horror as my last friend in the world was shot by him, the last hope I had left. In less than four hours, I had lost all my friends and watched many more die, but I continued fighting. I would not allow them to die without me to avenge them. After a while, though, only Enjolras, Marius, and I were left standing. All others were dead, (except Grantaire, he was just dead drunk.) Still, I kept on going.

As the fighting wore on, we grew closer to death's door. They got an open chance to shoot, and bang!, they got Marius in the head. He was down. As I thought of his briefly mentioned love, I was overcome with sadness for her, and hardly noticed a man take his body from the barricade. Still, we kept on, only two of us fighting. Then, I noticed a third figure standing on the barricade. It was the barmaid!

"Miss," I said, "You must go from here. We must not waste lives." Seeming upset by what I said, she sighed and went away. And not a moment too soon. A moment later, it was all clear. We had lost. The barricade had fallen.

Not wanting to die here, but nearer to home, I ran for my cart, assuming they would follow me.

Surprisingly, they didn't pursue me. They must have thought I was just a silly little girl who had followed her sweetheart into battle. Was I, or had I gone for the right to freedom? What would I do without them to think of and care for. I was on my own in this world.

Being alone, I decided now, a day later, it would be safe to go back and see the wreckage at the barricade and search for survivors, if there were any to find. I was surprised at what I found.

The barricade was in ruins, with bodies strewn everywhere. The area was completely devoid of sound and life, except for the singing and cleaning of a few women. Then, out of nowhere, I heard a groan. Where had it come from? Then I heard it again, closer now. When I looked in the sound's direction, I saw a barely moving, but moving, flash of red. My heart began to race. Could it be? Is it possible?

I rushed over and begin to remove the debris from the area. Under it, there were three figures, all seemingly dead. The first two were, for sure, and I recognized them as Grantaire and the barmaid, the latter lying on top of the other. I looked over to the third figure, and my heart skipped a beat. It was him. There was Enjolras, alive, but barely. Without thinking, I grabbed the almost lifeless body and dragged it away. I had no idea of what I was doing, but I was finally certain of one thing: I loved him.

I dragged him to my cart, not knowing what else to do. I only hoped he could last until, tonight, when I could safely leave and gather, er, steal the herbs I needed without being caught by the law and questioned about the barricade. Awash with worry, I ran to the river and fetched water to clean his wounds and to clear my mind. While there, I saw a man in an inspector's uniform jump into the river and die. My mind, however, didn't even process that until an hour later.

I ran back with water and desperately began to clean his wounds. While cleaning, I found a bullet lodged in him. Desperately, I pulled at the bullet, managing somehow to get it to come out cleanly. Still dazed, I was unable to sleep, although I had been up all day and it was dark. So, I tended my "patient" all through the night and into the morning.

After about two days like this, a miracle occurred. He opened his eyes and sat up. He would be alright! I was utterly amazed and overall elated. How and why did I suddenly have such good fortune?

"What happened? Is this heaven? If so, why is it so small, and where is everybody?" Enjolras asked, dazed.

"The barricade fell. As far as I know, we are the only ones alive. I pulled you from the barricade, mostly dead and brought you here. It was sort of an impulse," I replied. He seemed confused, he either didn't realize who I am, or was wondering why he was under a cart with a filthy girl wearing trousers. Probably the second one. It is, after all, an irregular happening. He seemed to slowly comprehend what I had said, and a sort of sad smile formed on his lips.

"So we are really the only ones left, aren't we?" he asked, even though I could tell he knew the answer. "Might as well make the most of it. Of all of them, I'm glad I am alive with you, which may seem odd, coming from me, a seemingly unromantic type of man."

I hesitated, allowing myself to process the information I had just received. After a moment, I spoke. "You know something? I feel like that, too, but it seems odd coming from a stubborn street girl, doesn't it?" He laughed, either at the fact that I had reused his comeback, or that I had openly admitted to being stubborn. Either way, I could see myself having a bright future with him.