[CH.2]

Everything was dark. I stayed silent and still for a few seconds, pacing my rapid and uneven breathing.

Was I dead?

I couldn't be. I was breathing, wasn't I?

Something smelled, bad. I moved my arm tentatively, my muscles protesting in pain as I did. I was sprawled on something cool and hard. I tried standing up, but my head collided with something metal and hard.

Where was I?

I reached up, and with both hands, pushed on the metal. It groaned a little before swinging and opening, flooding me with light.

I pulled myself out of the empty dumpster, breathing in the new air. I was in an alley between two apartment buildings, brick and lined with fire-escapes. Clothing lines stretched from one window to another. I heard faint music playing from an upper building.

I walked over to the alleyway's opening, sticking to the shadows. It was bright and sunny, and crowds of people walked on the sidewalks, all with somewhere to be. Buses and taxis clogged the streets.

I was in a city, a busy city by the looks of it.

I spotted the building I'd jumped from. It looked like a completely normal office building; except for the broken windows on the 8th floor. Police swarmed around the scene, and yellow no cross signs surrounded the entrance.

I watched the door as one of the lab coats came out, along with googles, still in their lab coats. One of the policemen- chief, judging by the way the other officers looked at him- walked over and started talking to them.

If only I could hear what they were saying. I squinted over at them, then all of a sudden, my eyesight sprung forward, like a telescope. It was like I was right in front of them. I almost fell over from being startled.

I looked over at the sheet in Goggle's hands. Focusing, I saw my face in black and white, crystal clear. There was some writing in the corner. I peered closer, leaning forward on my feet.

Natalie. "My name's Natalie." I said, trying it out. It rung a bell, but my past was slippery. Whenever I tried to grab onto a thought about it, it slips away. My name is Natalie, I thought. The thought of knowing my name re-assured me.

I tried looking fora last name, but I didn't see anything else next to it. I shut my eyes, and when I opened them, my regular eyesight returned.

So they were looking for me. But why? I had a bad feeling about them. They weren't just some whacko scientists. Something bigger.

That bell in my head rung even louder, but I ignored it.

I needed to get a disguise, find out what was going on. I needed to find out my past.

Silently, I climbed up the fire escape, next to the clothing line, and snapped off a pair of dark washed- jeans, still slightly wet. I had to tiptoe to grab the oversized blue t-shirt that smelled like cigarettes.

I considered going back into the dumpster to change [Gross, I know but what other choice did I have?], and was going to until-

"Hey, you!" I heard someone yell. I looked up to see a police officer running towards me, baton raised. "Stop right there!"

I jumped down from the fire escape, clothes still clenched close, and took off running down the alleyway.

----- author's note -------

I used my itouch on this one, which is harder, but faster, I guess. Hope you like it' I'm not exactly sure where I'm going with this; but-

RATE:COMMENT! :D

~xflighty_firex (AKA xfireflightx)