Chapter 13

While we walked, I told Jason everything. I told him about the day I woke up in the hospital, about Penny, about watching him wake up in the hospital and how it was the worst day I’d ever had. I told him about how I saw everyone start to fall apart, and how it killed me to know that it was my fault. And then, I told him about Lena. She would have killed me if she found out. Good thing I was already dead.

            “She’s hurting bad, Jay. And you might not know this, but you’re the only thing saving her right now,” I rushed out finally. The look on his face was priceless. I swore I could see a blush.

            “Me? I don’t do anything,” he smirked, but I could tell he really didn’t believe it.

            “Yes, you! Look… I saw what happened to both of you after the accident. Do you know how much it hurt to see you shrink away from your life because of me, and know that I couldn’t do a thing about it?” I asked. He was silent and I shook my head. “Exactly. And Lena… the guilt from her feelings is literally eating her alive, Jason. She’s on the edge—even closer than you were just now,” I stared at him hard and caught him stiffen considerably, the corners of his mouth dropping in worry. “You have to save her. And I’m not saying that you need to sweep her off her feet and forget about everything that happened. That’s not what she needs. Just…” the words were hard to find. How do you tell your boyfriend to give your best friend a chance when you still loved him so much, even in death?

            I bit the bullet and sighed and pushed forward, “Just be there for her, okay? It’s what I would want. You never know what could happen between you two.” I offered a smile as we reached the cemetery and walked through the gates. My body felt weak and tingly, and I had a creeping feeling that my time in Limbo was almost over.

            Jason was silent for a few seconds, staring back at me. His warm brown eyes were stone serious, and finally he gave me a single sincere nod. Relief flooded through me and I was shocked to realize that it overshadowed the jealousy.

             He paused, and I watched his face. It was obvious that he was thinking, and I didn’t have much time left for guessing games.

             “What is it?”

             “On the bridge… what happened to the man who was possessing me? And why me? I mean, I was hearing those voices for weeks… and it was all just him?”

             I nodded. “The reason I was stuck in Limbo was… well, to make sure you were okay. To make sure all of you guys were okay, but Jay… mostly you. That man, Arthur, was a stalker and a murderer when he was alive. I guess he turned into a bad spirit when he died and fucked himself over, so now he’ll never cross over. When I died, he decided he wanted me to be his Limbo-buddy. That’s why he came after you—to get me stuck in Limbo, too.” I frowned just thinking about Arthur and his stupid dimples. I wanted to pour cement over his entire face.

             “So where is he now? Stuck forever, then?”

             “He deserves it. I don’t think he counted on you ever fighting back. So when you and I both did, together… it looks like it took up the last of the energy he’s been using for his reign of terror this whole time. It’ll take him a long time to get back up to that point, I think,” I muttered.

             Jason’s eyebrows shot up. “How long are we talking here, Rem?”

             I smirked and pat him on the shoulder. “He’s been stuck for forty years, babe. I don’t think you’ll have to worry about him again in this lifetime. Ghosts weren’t meant to have a whole lot of disposable energy; it takes time to build up, that’s why some spirits get stuck in Limbo for so long. I never planned on being one of those suckers.”