Chapter 14

The school day passed by pretty quickly, considering it was a Monday. The rest of the day went by with no awkwardness amongst our group, me and Jarryd kept a respectable distance, it was hard knowing that he must know about the Alaster situation. We did exchange a few shy glances throughout the day but other than that it was as normal as you can get with me and Boiye around. I’d gone straight to his house after school and was sitting on his sofa with Andrea, sharing chocolate, watching a rerun of a chat show, Andrea loved them.

   “And, how do I let someone down gently?” I asked as an angry woman stormed onto the stage on the TV.

   “It’s only gentle if they don’t mind being let down, my love. If they’ve got high hopes then no matter what you say, it ain’t gonna make them feel any better.”

   I pondered that for a while, I had no clue whether Alaster was actually into me, or whether I was just ‘something to do’ since he’d left his exciting city life behind.

   “But what should I say? I still want to stay friends, it’s not like we’re going out or anything, but I have kissed him a couple of times. I really just don’t want it to be awkward if we stay friends and cut out the kissing completely.”

   “Just say that. He’ll come round eventually if he wants to stay friends or if he accepts it from the start you know you had nothing to worry about.” Andrea’s eyes were still glued to the screen and the arguments from the guests of the show.

   “Ok, thanks. I’ll give it a go. I’ve got no choice really have I?” She looked at me and gave me a sympathetic smile.

   “Not really my love.” She pulled me in for a one armed hug.

   “I better go see what he’s doing upstairs.” Meaning Boiye who had been making worrying banging noises as he supposedly cleaned his room. “Before he hurts himself.”

   “Talk to me anytime.” I looked back at Andrea, as I reached the bottom of the stairs, with affection. She might be a bad influence, loud and a lot of other things, but she was honest and I loved her for it.

   “Broken anything yet?” I asked as I entered Boiye’s bedroom. He chucked a yellow duster at me.

   “Of course not. It’s just mum noticed I’d only been ‘dusting around things’,” he imitated his mothers voice, “So I’ve had to move everything to do it properly.” He rolled his eyes.

   I’d filled him in on most of the recent Alaster/Jarryd drama on the way back from school which prompted a lot of ‘no ways’ ‘shut ups’ and ‘oh my gods’. But other than that I didn’t get much feedback from him. “Andrea thinks I should just tell Alaster I want to be friends and suffer the consequences, whatever they may be.”

   “Well, they could be sonnets and impromptu guitar playing outside your bedroom window at three am. Or he could do typical guy, ‘I’m not bothered’ but sulk for the rest of his life, or he might not actually be bothered and start snogging Diane Lloyd the next day. I‘m betting on the first one.”

   “Haha, thanks for your wisdom boyfriend, I’ll start sleeping with earplugs then.” I sent a text to Alaster asking him if it was okay for me to pop over and sighed. “I’m going to do it tonight. I just can’t string this out any longer.”

   “Anything to do with wanting to go all public with golden delicious?” I laughed at Boiye’s old nickname for Jarryd.

   “Not yet, give me a chance! I’m not that much like Diane Lloyd!” Poor Diane, she does get a hard time from us. My phone beeped a response. “Right, I’m off then. Wish me luck!”