Recovery

When I grew up, there weren't many cybers around. We were a vacation community, a place to get away from all the hectic worlds. Part of the charm was really limited computer networks. I met my first cyber on a school trip to the Minnesota State Capitol. She said that we're all human. We're all created equal. We have the same rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I didn't understand back then, but I think I do now. I try to let that understanding lead my actions.

Recovery

The Avenger's cockpit locked shut, sealing Jack into the home his fighter had become once again. It was odd. Before Yosemite he'd never set foot in a real fighter. He'd played simulations of course. Who hadn't? But now that he'd lived the real thing, he recognized just how limited those were. For one thing they lacked the two people that had enriched his life for the last two years.

Betty and Jasmine flickered into existence atop the console, their uniforms already fading away. A sundress came into focus on Betty and Jack took a moment to smile as the color registered. Pink. Then Jasmine's grey jeans and blue tank top appeared and Jack's smile grew. So this was going to be an experimental day. He gave them two thumbs up and got down to business.

"Recovery?"

"She's coming in now," Betty answered and looked to the side as another form began to appear.

The name Emily came into focus first, followed by a soft face topped with brown hair. Then her torso, arms, and legs came into focus. The standard white and black British naval uniform snapped into existence in time with the scowl that covered her face. "Captain Hart," she said, her tone frosty. Obviously she was not happy about the recent briefing. Well that was going to make this a harder sell, but he figured he could do it.

Jack gave her best winning smile and spread his arms out wide. "Ah, you're just the ship I need."

The cyber's eyes narrowed in suspicion. "What do you want?"

"Why, only your expertise. I hear you're the best."

Emily crossed her arms over her white uniform shirt, recognizing the flattery for what it was and not trusting him at all. "I do not have all day."

Jack swallowed and sucked in a deep breath. She was not going to make this easy. Oh well. If it was easy anyone could do it. With that thought filling his mind he dived into his attempt to save a friend. "I've got a cyber that lost her pilot. She's still kicking, but without something to make her want to stay she won't much longer." The other cyber nodded in pained understanding. "Can you build her an android avatar for me?"

Betty and Jasmine gasped on either side of him and Recovery's cyber frowned. "Doesn't that go against American regulations?"

Jack shrugged. "Technically, maybe." He sighed at her knowing look. "Look, her pilot is dead. That opens up all kinds of contract loopholes for her. And besides. You're British. You don't have to follow American regulations if you don't want."

Emily's frown deepened. "So you let Wyatt give us the heave ho when you don't need us and now you ask me for a favor? Why should I help you?"

"You're not helping me," Jack answered quickly, hoping to stave off her decision before it was made. "You're helping a fellow cyber recover from a soul-wrenching loss," he said, making sure to emphasis the name of her ship.

The emphasis was not lost on the cyber and she pursed her lips at him. She didn't like him using her name against her, but he could see her thinking about it. So Jack played another card. "She'll die without you. Will you help me save her?" Jack paused a moment to gauge her reaction and then played one more. "Please?"