Chapter 16 - Queen Sari

Chapter 16 – Queen Sari

Aurora sat with her back leaned against a large tree. The vines stretched towards the top, shying away from the sunlight. The soft, moss-covered ground made for a comfortable seating spot, and she’d found the perfect angle to throw stones into the water. Waiting was horrible. Every bit of Aurora hummed with excitement whenever she looked at the waterfall. She’d been waiting for Aaron to get back with the rest of the crew. But for every minute the wait got more and more excruciating. She wanted to explore.

She searched the ground for pebbles and twigs, collecting them carefully in her left hand before throwing them into the water. It fascinated her how some of the flat stones would skip over the surface a few times before finally plummet deep into the water. It didn’t hold her attention for long, though.

“Where is he?” she muttered and looked around the perimeter. Nothing had changed since the last time she looked, and she had no way of knowing how long it’d been already. It would have been convenient if she’d been equipped with a watch. Sighing, she decided to go back to throwing things.

She hadn’t told Aaron the truth yet. It wasn’t because she didn’t want to tell him. But she just didn’t feel like this was the right time. Besides, he didn’t exactly qualify to be the most honest person on earth either.

“That’s a human pass time.” The voice startled her.

Aurora jumped to her legs, searching for the source of the voice. Hidden between two bushes, she saw Allegra grinning back at her. “Oh,” Aurora said. “It’s you.”

“Indeed it is. You’re so observant.” Allegra’s voiced was laced with a deep sarcasm. “You realize I could have killed you if I’d been an enemy.”

“Good thing you aren’t then.” Aurora sat back down. “Where are the others?”

Allegra stepped out of the bushes and walked towards the water. “Aaron is talking to Heratrix.”

“Why?” Aurora frowned. “What for?”

“He doesn’t want your owner to come along. And the warriors don’t like the guy.”

Aurora threw a twig into the water. “Any idea how long it’ll take?”

“Nope.” Allegra turned towards her. “You know… We could always go ahead alone.”

“What?”

“I’m just saying… With my knowledge and your powers we could go ahead and make sure it’s safe to go through.” Allegra’s face twisted in a sinister smile. “Unless you’re scared of disobeying your crush.”

“I’m not crushing on Aaron.”

Allegra laughed. “Yet you still knew whom I was referring to right away.”

“It doesn’t take a scientist to figure that one out.” Aurora dusted of her hands in her clothes. “Why do you want to go ahead anyway? You don’t like me.”

She wasn’t rewarded any reply. Instead, Allegra turned to the waterfall. “Suit yourself. I’m going through.” With those words, she started to jump over the slippery stones.

There wasn’t much time for Aurora to act. In a split-second, she jumped to her feet and followed Allegra. After all, she couldn’t just send her in alone. Could she? She had an obligation to the team, and Aaron would understand that she couldn’t stop Allegra. The only thing she could do was to make sure Allegra wasn’t alone.

“Wait up,” she called.

Allegra turned with a smug look. “Figured you’d change your mind. After you, then.” She gestured to the wall of water in front of her, and Aurora jumped from one stone to the next.