When One Word Can Change Everything You Ever Knew

As the sun's rays fell across the bed, Gwen's eyes opened and she was greeted with the sight of Sir Guy of Gisborne asleep in a chair at her side. She found herself watching everything he did as he slept. The black curls of his fringe fell over his eyes and moved a little as he breathed in and then out, he seemed to bite on his lip and then tense every so often as the dreams he was lost in held him in a dark place. She longed to reach out and stroke his hand that even in sleep rested on the hunting knife he wore at his side, Gwen wondered if he dreamt of the Lady Marian, of the woman he had loved and lost. Groaning, she realised that she was jealous of a dead woman, a woman who could not defend her actions, Gwen knew though, that if she had been the object of Sir Guy's affections she would not have treated him with such cruelty. He had paid penance most of his life for his actions and watching him fight his dreams, it was clear he still did.

His eyelids fluttered and then, the blue eyes that had caused her many a sleepless night where looking at her. Her breath hitched as she realised she was still staring at him.

"Gwen?"

Shaking her head to clear her many thoughts, Gwen struggled to find her voice, she stretched and pulled herself up on the soft pillow, watching discreetly Sir Guy stretch himself and her eyes widened as she saw strong muscles working on his side. There was no hiding the truth, Sir Guy of Gisborne had the body of a God her Father had told her many stories about, she could see him fighting the Minotaur or dragon.

"Sir Guy... I apologise for all the trouble I have..."

"Stop."

She thought he was angry with her. Gwen knew she should have kept her mouth shut. Perhaps Sir Guy was here to scold her, there was no way surely that he cared for her, nor should he. Perhaps he had brought her here to keep her hostage. Too many thoughts went through her mind...

"Your face is filled with so much emotion Gwen" Sir Guy's hands took her own above the heavy blankets. "please Gwen calm yourself, you are in a guest chamber of my own home in Locksley. I can imagine you think you are here as a means to an ends for myself. You are not a prisoner, you are not collateral for me to use against the Sheriff or the Baron. Listen to me Gwen, you are a guest in my home. I do not want you to worry or concern yourself with anything other than getting well whilst I try to think of what I can do to assure you are safe from those so called men of honour, a word neither understand."

She nodded. What else could she do, what could be said to his honest speech. He wanted her here... Sir Guy wanted her here within his home. Gwen didn't care at that moment if he employed her to work with cattle as long as she was here where she felt safe, dare she think it, she felt.. wanted. His hands felt so warm, the tips of his fingers were hardened from years of practising to swing his sword and fighting in so many battles. The black shirt he work should have been loose on him, but it was tight across his broad shoulders. There was no denying it, Gwen Verrall, the daughter of a sword smith, a girl who would amount to being a ladies maid if and it was a big if, she caught the eye of a kind family she would be secure, but the influence of Sheriff could destroy all of that before it began.

"Thank you so much for all your kindness, you... saved me it seems Sir Guy. I am in your debt it seems. Trying to hide the blush that covered her cheeks, Gwen continued. "I will serve you in anyway I can, my life is in your hands. I will get out of bed, I do not belong in such a room as this, I will lie anywhere you see fit."

Her hands left his own as she moved to get out of bed, the ache that ran through her body every morning was gone. Never in her life had she woken this calm and relaxed even with the fear gripping her heart that the Sheriff would order Sir Guy of Gisborne, his loyal and somewhat devoted Master of Arms, to return her to the castle, to the prison that held so many people hostage behind its strong walls. Here though at Locksley, she could feel her lungs fill with air that didn't feel like it was poisoning her soul. She froze as she felt his strong hands on her arms guiding her back into the soft bed, his blue eyes searching for something in her own, as her head once more rested upon the pillows she watched Sir Guy cover her once more.