Chapter 3

"Skylar?" Rick called through the sheet very soon after he left.

"Come in." She said. The sheet pulled over and Rick was there with a different man. This guy was old with a long white beard and matching hair pulled into a ponytail.

"You're a doctor?" Skylar couldn't believe Rick had met up with a doctor. Skylar's dad had kept her and her mom far away from anyone else, he wanted to keep his pack small and easily protected.

"I used to be a veterinarian," Hershel smiled down at her. "But now I guess I am just a doctor." Hershel sat down next to her and pulled out a stethoscope to listen to her heart. Then he held her wrist to take down her pulse.

"Where did Rick find you?" Hershel asked as he made his assessments.

"Behind a house I was staying at in the woods, I was checking my traps." Skylar found it easy to talk to the gentleman. His tone was welcoming.

"You know how to hunt?"

"Yeah, my dad took me out. Sometimes we'd go camping for a whole week." Skylar liked talking about what she used to do, it reminded her of the good times.

"Carl used to be so jealous. He was furious you got a gun for your birthday and he wasn't allowed near one." Rick smiled. Skylar knew this, of course, Carl always complained to her that Rick wouldn't let him hold his pistol from work.

"Did you get a lot of food in your traps?" Hershel questioned then put a hand on her belly. She hadn't realized how loose her shirt had gotten. She was used to not eating so much, having one or two meals a day. And no, she wasn't getting a lot of prey. Sometimes she got something, but it would already be torn into and she didn't trust it enough to eat.

"No, but my dad showed me what bark I can eat off of trees and other stuff. And I had a can of chicken soup that I didn't want to use unless absolutely necessary."

"Well, that should have been a while ago. I don't know how you've been pushing through, but you need some food." Hershel stood up. "When you do eat have small portions and eat slowly, I don't want you getting sick and bruising yourself."

"So I got to you just in time." Rick was sitting on the toilet watching them. "I'm glad it was me who found you." Skylar smiled at him. She was pretty glad he found her too. At least she knew someone and wasn't totally alone anymore. Skylar promised Hershel she wouldn't over do it and he left.

"Would you like to rest, eat or would you like to meet some people?" Rick asked her. "I can find a blanket and pillow for you and get you some food."

"Yes please." Skylar was ready for a nice meal of real food and a long nap.

"Okay, I'll be back." Rick left and Skylar lay down on her bedspread. Maybe by the time she wakes up from her nap, Carl will be back and she can see him. Last she saw him, they were 11 and still playing pretend. Skylar thought more on it and remember that she was with him when news first broke out about a sickness spreading. That was the last time she saw him. It felt like it had been years since then, but it's only been about two she thought. She hoped the two years apart didn't change their friendship.

~~

Skylar fell asleep before she could even put her empty paper plate down on the floor. She didn't have any nightmares, she wasn't kept up by any noises. She felt good. She didn't know how long she had been asleep and she didn't want to get up right away but the knocking on the cell that woke her up wasn't going away.

"Come in," Skylar mumbled out. She figured it was Rick, but she looked up to see a woman with gray hair cut shorter than Maggies. She was holding some folded laundry and wore a bright smile.