Chapter Thirteen

“Let me guess. You’re going to be hanging out with Levi again tonight.”

            Nolan tried not to grin at the accusation he could hear in Mindy’s words.

In the last week, they’d established what he thought was a nice routine. While he spent every afternoon and part of the evening teaching Levi the finer points of black magic, she used the time to get all of her homework done. It was the first time he’d taught anyone to do anything, and he’d been pleased to see he had it in himself.

Of course, it helped that Levi was a quick study. Despite how good the student was, Nolan was careful to make sure Levi didn’t surpass his master. The problem was that Levi couldn’t get enough. Not only did he want to learn more, but he wanted to know more. Since the guy was the grandson of Lucifer, Nolan was bound to answer his questions and even to serve him, and that piece of knowledge was something he was guarding closely.

The last thing he wanted was to end up a slave to Levi. Maybe Mindy’s little jealousy fit was just what he needed to put some distance between him and Levi. He’d have to be careful though or he’d tip his hand to Mindy.

“Why do you sound mad?” Nolan asked. “You know why I’m doing it.”

“I know, but I just didn’t think you’d be spending all your time with him and not me.”

Nolan gave in to his grin. “I don’t spend all my time with him. I sleep with you every night.”

Mindy’s anger suddenly gave way to a shy giggle. “You’re right. I’m sorry.”

Shit, Nolan thought and realized he should’ve known better.

Though she was sometimes quick to get angry, she was just as quick to let go of that anger and admit she was wrong. Mindy was the first and only girl he’d known that was like this. All the other girls he’d ever been with were always able to find a way to make themselves right even when they were wrong.

“Maybe you’re right too,” Nolan said.

Mindy furrowed her brow. “What do you mean?”

“Maybe I have been spending too much time with Levi, and maybe I should do something to make it up to you.”

“You don’t have to do that.”

“I want to. Just name it, and it’s yours, anything you want.”

“Anything?”

“Anything.”

“Well, there is one thing, but you’ll probably think it’s dumb.”

“Try me.”

“There’s a school dance tonight, and I kind of wanted to go if you’d go with me.”

Nolan raised his eyebrows. Setting aside his hatred for school dances, they didn’t seem like her thing. None of that school spirit stuff ever mattered to her before.

“Never mind, just forget it,” Mindy said. “I told you it was dumb. We can just go to a movie.”

As much as he wanted to take her up on that offer, he knew better. If he didn’t do this for her now, it could come back to haunt him later.

“We can go to the dance,” Nolan said.

Mindy’s eyes lit up. “Are you sure? We don’t have to.”

“I know, but I want to,” he lied, and she laughed.

“I’m sure you don’t, but it’s sweet of you to say.”