Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"So, who are you?" I sighed, still waiting for his reply. He must have been sitting there staring at me for five minutes straight before I broke the silence. He remained silent as a giant grin appeared on his lips. "Look I don't know what the hell's going on, so if you know something can you please tell me? If not, I'm out of here." I explained, throwing the duffel bag over my shoulder and after a few moments of gazing at him expectedly, I turned to walk out the door.

"Wait," He stifled a laugh. "Sit down Eden." He gestured for me to sit in the matching armchair beside his, which I did after I threw the bag on to the floor still trying to appear stronger than I really was. But to be honest I knew he knew the truth.

"You obviously know my name, now tell me yours?" I tried my best to be polite but there was something about his face that came off as arrogant, and arrogance was one trait in people I couldn't stand, and in situations such as this I had no time for it.

"I'm Hunter." He beamed with pride as I rolled my eyes, the cat was called Hunter and I was still the mouse.

"Well Hunter, what is going on?"I watched as his dark eyes became deep with thought as he decided where to start. Hunter's face became a lot more serious as he leant forward and ran his hand back and forth through the short hair on his head.

"What do you know?" He asked, not looking at me once instead he focused on his entwined fingers.

"All I know is last night my mother was taken from me, I killed a man and now I'm in a hotel suite with a complete stranger." I rambled looking at him with alarm. "Please tell me what you know. I'm not stupid Hunter, it was no coincidence that you came speeding down my street to come and save me. Heck, even an idiot would think that was a bit too convenient.

"I didn't save you, I was too late." Hunter added bluntly before looking at me with a pained expression. "You saved yourself. Now we need to go, I'll explain everything else in the car." He said before getting out of the seat and pulling on his khaki jacket.

"But-" I started before he put his long index finger to my lips to silence me before picking up my bag and pushing me gently out of the room with his spare hand on the lower of my back.

"Can I trust you?" I asked looking him dead in the eye. He stopped walking and stood in front of me watching my face.

"Only you can decide that, I can't tell you. But for now, please let me save your life. It's my duty to protect you." I nodded in reply to him and we headed out of the rather extravagant hotel. I felt out of place as I waited in the main reception for Hunter. Many men in business suits and women with bags full of designer clothes started judging me as they walked by. It didn't surprise me though. I knew I looked a mess, I still had blood splatters on my hands and pants. Hunter paid the bill quickly at the front desk and we walked through the glass doors still receiving strange glances our way as we retreated to his black Hummer. We walked in silence and neither one of us looked at the other, like the uncomfortable elevator ride.

"Where are we going?" I asked once we'd been driving for twenty minutes. I only realised after we'd been driving for a while we were nearing a desert. He'd obviously drove for hundreds of miles last night as I slept unconsciously because we were nowhere near my most recent home. He didn't seem to even notice me as I asked him and I couldn't see if he  even bothered looking at me because of the sunglasses he wore. "Hunter!" I barked angrily.

"We're going far away from here." He simply said continuing to watch the road ahead of us. I could feel myself becoming more annoyed and angrier with him every minute we spent together. He was keeping things from me, the things I was desperate to know. However, it wasn't just what he knew that bothered me, it was the way he behaved. I couldn't count the number of times he'd glanced up at the rear view mirror to check himself out.