Outside Of Work

Alyssa was sharing a laugh with Dennise, the secretary of the another department's head from across the hall, when Alyssa's monster of a boss spoke up.

"Alyssa," her boss called with authority and it made her flinch.

"Yes, Ma'am," she responded while standing up, feeling rattled.

"Make me a cup of coffee."

She nodded.

"Den, kaya mo na dito?" she asked Dennise first who was now focus on the printer/photocopier machine.

Dennise needed to photocopy some files and had asked to use the one on her desk. Like always. Since whenever something was lacking in the other office, Dennise would always come to her to get whatever it is.

"Yes, Ly. I know how," Dennise said with a smile.

"Alyssa, now!" Her boss hissed.

Alyssa swiftly entered her boss' office because she had her own coffee maker there. As she started to prepare the coffee, she heard her boss talk to Dennise.

"Ms. Lazaro, right?" Her boss asked blandly.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Please tell your boss to come see me in my office when you see her."

Her boss didn't even wait for Dennise's response and went back to her own desk and continued working.
Alyssa sighed silently.

Her boss wasn't always, you know, a bitch. In fact, when Alyssa started working as her secretary six months ago, her boss was actually really nice to her. Her boss was even the one who guided her with everything that she needed to learn as secretary after the previous secretary suddenly left because of family matters. Her boss was very friendly and simply amazing.

But lately, it was as if her boss was always on her period, Alyssa thought. Her boss was always moody and sometimes irrational. Alyssa can't really explain but any other person would have resigned already.

Alyssa would have had she not seen how great of a person her boss can be. Plus, it didn't help that her monster of a boss was actually really beautiful with her short hair, fair skin, and grey eyes that always captivate Alyssa. Maybe had Mika Reyes been ugly Alyssa would have quit.

Shaking her head of such thoughts, Alyssa focused on making sure was the way Mika liked it. She put the cup on the saucer and carefully brought it over to Mika's desk.

Mika looked up and gave her a dazzling smile.

"Thank you."

And just like that, all the irritation and exasperation Alyssa felt towards Mika diminished.

"Gusto mo daw ako?" Someone suddenly spoke from the open door which made both Alyssa and Mika turn.

Mika immediately rolled her eyes while Alyssa felt inexplicably annoyed.

"So gusto mo ako, ah?" Ara Galang asked teasingly before walking and plopping down on the couch inside Mika's office.

Alyssa's face turned into a frown and so she would not witness any more of their interaction, she excused herself.

"Can you make me a cup of coffee before you leave?" Ara said to Alyssa.

Alyssa nodded politely even though she didn't want to.

"No, Alyssa. Wag na wag kang magpapautos sa kaniya. That's my command," Mika said while glaring at Ara which made Alyssa want to smile then.

Ara only chuckled while Alyssa nodded.