ten

| distress

Evarose dashed out from the castle bushes, cutting through the meadow towards the forest. Glittery stars were scattered all over the dark blanket of sky, clouds drifting lazily across it. The moon was full, luminous, like an eye looking below, watching the shadow. And as if feeling pity for the poor soul, it slipped behind the clouds. Light was snatched away, and darkness roamed in victory.

The scent of fresh leaves and arriving autumn relaxed her as she entered the forest. She treaded through it, carefully, cautiously, over the slimy moss eating the ground, holding tree trunks for balance with one hand and keeping her messy hair in place with the other.

Walking in the forest late at night in a nightgown was not a good idea. Howls and growls could be heard in the distance, but the beasts won’t bother her. What she had to focus on was staying on the right path and making sure not to slip or trip. Not that having dirt in her face mattered anymore.

The moss tickled the soles of her feet, nearly causing her to step onto a landmine of thorns. Evarose cursed under her breath. She should’ve stolen a pair of boots. And it didn’t help that she was still a bit woozy from what had happened in the ballroom.

Another reason to run, she thought, they’ve found me.

Faintly she heard water splashing into a pond and stopped to catch her breath. Leaning against a tree, the bark rough through her dress, Evarose took in deep breaths to steady and calm her racing blood. “What a night,” she muttered dryly.

Oh, this night had been exciting, alright. She’d spent months keeping her past locked up, and in just one night—and because of two particular young men—they returned at full force, hissing at her with gray eyes and offering stupid drinks.

How had he found her so quickly? The one time she went out, just barely an hour, and he was already there. How?

She shook her head and continued on her way again, taking slow steps, holding onto the trees. Finally the scent of rose and stone jolted her senses and she sagged with relief. Home. She burst through the door and ran, her dirty, bare feet pounding against the cold floor.

The kitchen was empty, much to her disappointment, so she ran up the stairs, tripping whenever she misplaced a foot. “Erys!” she shouted, but only her voice echoed back. “Erys, where are you?”

Darkness crept around her skin, making her shiver. Heart thundering, she ran faster and screamed louder, checking every possible spot where the wolf could be. “Erys!”

Suddenly, abruptly, she froze in the middle of the hallway. Goosebumps pricked her skin, like someone had let the chilly air in, and someone stepped out of the shadow. Behind a curtain of black hair were cold, gray eyes. And a large, ugly scar ran across his face from temple to cheekbone.

“Such a pleasure to see you again, Rosey,” Ector said, grinning. “It’s been so long.”

“Not long enough,” she spat.

“Oh, how you hurt me so.” He spread his arms, gesturing to the castle. “So this is where you’ve been hiding. I have to say, not bad. But you’ve evaded us long enough.”

Evarose clenched her fists. Her hand impulsively reached up to her neck, and she realized her amulet was missing. She paled, but tried not to show it. “H-How did you find me?”

The man merely shrugged. “I have my sources. You’re a very hard flower to find, you know. You have no idea what I’ve gone through to find you here.”