Chapter 1: Kiseki no Sedai

I woke up the next morning to a phone vibration. I groggily snatched my phone and unlocked it to look at the text message. It was rare that someone texted me, because I had no other people to contact besides my parents, maid, and chauffeur. My eyes widened when I saw a text message from an unknown number. "Ummm... would you mind if I ask you to escort me to school?" was what I saw.

I texted "Who's this?" in reply, and sent it to the number. After a few minutes, I received a reply and it read: "It's Asuka..." I was very confused, because I never even told her of my number. So I asked her how she got it via a text message, but got no reply from her since then. I looked very dumb, looking at my phone and waiting for a reply from a person I just met yesterday. After a few minutes, I just gave up and did my daily routines. Once I was out of the house, I was surprised to see Asuka standing in right in front of my door.

"Good morning, Kazuya-kun... I've been here a few hours ago, but you never came out. I was very worried, you know..." she said.

"Asuka... you should've just told me that you received my number, so that I wouldn't have had to waste time creeped out," I told her and sighed.

"I-I'm sorry!" she panicked and bowed her head. " I-I just... Ummm..."

"You know what? Just don't mind it," I said and smiled. "Let's just go straight to school, okay? You said so yourself that I escort you."

"R-Really?" Asuka looked up at me, her eyes shining with hope. "Th-Thank you, Kazuya-kun..."

We went on our way to school next to each other, but no one ever spoke, and the atmosphere was too awkward for me to take. But she said so that she wanted someone to walk with her to school, and that man was someone she just met and became friends with yesterday. In other words: me. But after minutes of walking, we finally arrived to school, and I just couldn't help but admire the size of the building. More like a palace than a school.

Once we were at the gate, Asuka said that was where we part ways, because she had peers of her own. I went straight to the court, but as I passed by, I heard mutters like, "Have you heard about the new student?", "They said he was a pro in basketball...", "He's also said to have the perfect body.", "I heard his name was Kazuya Kinshuu.", "Right there! The new student!" Some people, mainly girls, crowded me and asked me random questions about myself, but I ignored them and went straight to the court, where I met Kirito and the others playing basketball, their usual game, but they were in loose t-shirts and shorts. I neared them with curiosity, and they stopped when they noticed me coming.

"Good morning, guys," I greeted them. "So why are you playing this early?"

"Oh, good morning to you to, Kazuya," Kirito greeted back. "Didn't you hear? We're playing for a tournament! We'll be battling against middle schools, and fight the champion, become the number one middle school in Japan! That's why I asked you yesterday to become one in the basketball club. To become a regular and play with us! Isn't that great?"

"I-Immediately?!" I shouted, shock pretty obvious in my face. "I just joined yesterday, and I become a regular?!"

"Why? Don't you like it?" Kirito teased, faking his disappointment.

"Are you kidding?! Of course I like it! I wanna play basketball and have fun with you guys!" I shouted again and broke into a huge smile. It was really exciting to play with them.

"Join us! We're having practice this whole week, and I hope you attend all of them," Kirito informed, and I nodded in response before they passed me a ball. I took it and shot a three-pointer from where I stood, surprising my teammates all of a sudden. But they applauded of the shot, and we soon began playing.