Chapter Twenty-Nine: Rescue Mission

While Paul’s small attempt at kindness was a sweet gesture, Naomi and Cole didn’t get to sleep in nearly as long as they’d hoped.  At around a quarter ‘til ten Cole’s mother Janette barged into the guest room, clapping her hands together obnoxiously.  Cole groaned and covered his ears, hoping to drown out the sound of her obvious attempts at waking him up.  While it helped, he could still hear her telling him to get up, get up, get up.  He turned and threw his pillow at her.  She easily caught it and dropped it onto the mattress Noah had used earlier.

“C’mon, Coley, it’s time for breakfast!”

“Mom, I’m tired,” he whined, turning over huffily.  He gave her the darkest glare he could possibly muster but was well aware that it was less intimidating with his current state of bedhead.  She simply smiled at him and crossed her arms across her polo-clad chest.  If she didn’t wear such unflattering outfits, Cole knew his mother would be a knockout.  She had the same mousy brown hair as him and though she still did her bangs like she lived in the 90s, she had an almost ageless face.  Paul had once called her a MILF to which Cole punched him in the stomach.

“Awww, my baby’s tired.  That’s how we felt last night when you and your friends were being loud.  So, as punishment, you get to have breakfast with us!  Now, go wake up Naomi and get dressed.  You know I hate when you wear nothing but your boxers around the house.”

“Whatever,” he grumbled.  Janette smiled and spun on her sneakers, marching out of his room and closing the door behind her.  Cole rolled his neck and climbed out of bed.  He walked to his bedroom for a change of clothes, and in a matter of seconds he was dressed in an orange t-shirt and a pair of black sweatpants.  Neither one was very fresh, but sitting at the table with his smell would serve her right for waking him up so goddamn early.

Cole plopped down on his bed next to Naomi.  “Get up, hoe.”

“Fuck off, bitch,” she said without missing a beat.  Cole grinned and nudged her repeatedly.  “What do you want from me?  I’m trying to sleep.”

“My mom said we have to have breakfast with her and my dad since they didn’t sleep well last night because of us.”

“Sometimes I wish your folks would just drink themselves to sleep like mine.”

“Well, until then, get up.  Let’s go make their breakfast hell.”  Reluctantly, she sat up and rubbed her eyes, smearing her mascara.  Thanks to Cole keeping her up so late, she’d fallen asleep without removing it.  She’d probably have clogged pores out the butt within the next few days.

“Give me five minutes to wash my face and get dressed,” she said.  Cole did just that.  He stomped downstairs to announce his arrival.  His mother sat at the table with his father, sipping a glass of tea.  The look on her face was a mixture of humor and sternness.  He dropped into his seat and shrugged.

“Here I am.”

“Good, now go make some food.”

“You mean you didn’t cook anything and still made us get up so early?”  Cole didn’t try to hide the surprise in his voice.

“Oscar,” she said, turning to his father, “Since when did I become a personal chef?”

“Y’know, I’m not sure.  Never?”

“Ah, that’s right.”  She turned back to her son and smiled sweetly.

“Ugh,” Cole muttered, rolling his eyes as he stood to walk to the refrigerator.  He peered inside, pulling out the carton of eggs and the package of bacon.  Janette caught sight of the meat and held a finger up.  She swallowed her tea and said,