Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Caitlyn left the garden breathlessly, her hands soiled from the furious digging and searching. She had left the beautiful garden in a mess that could’ve been left by a hurricane, but she could not be less rueful about it.

Nothing in the garden, she reported.

Same in the pool. Benedict’s safe with me, replied Travis.

Same in the gym, responded Lucy tersely.

The tension did not leave Caitlyn. Sorenson?

Seconds ticked past painfully.

  One.

  Two.

  Three.

  Four.

  Five.

  Six.

  Seven.

  Eight.

  Nine.

  Ten.

When the last second ticked in her heard, her eyes closed shut. I’m coming for you, kid.

 She reached the door as soon as Travis, Benedict and Lucy did, her heart beating dangerously calmly in its confine. 

  The entrance door slid open, detecting her heat, in time to see Heather, unmistakably her friend, Heather, sitting on the edge of a bed, Nathan kneeling before her, sobs wrecking his body, and Caitlyn took her first step forward, just in time to see Heather unsheathe Síla from Nathan’s belt, and drive it straight into Nathan’s abdomen.

A scream tore through the air, hoarse and nearly inhumane. It took Caitlyn a while to realize that it had come from her own throat.

   Nathan jerked, as Heather slid out Síla skillfully out of Nathan’s stomach.

Blood.

Dark, dark, red blood dripped from his abdomen. Nathan slowly raised his head mechanically, and placed his hand over his stomach.

 “Caitlyn’s come for your body, darlin’.” Heather licked her lips, and gently helped Nathan onto the floor.

  Stunned Travis, crying Benedict and Lucy, even Heather the killer, were ignored by Caitlyn. She fell to her knees with a thud next to Nathan, whose pale hand was still over his stomach, dark blood continuously seeping through his fingers.

   His face was pale, nearly as pale as her skin, and his mouth opened, forming a small, weak smile.

  “Kate…” he croaked. “Kate…Beautiful…I love you.”

Tears blinded Caitlyn, as she fumbled for his wound, her fingers shaking. “I’ll…I’ll help you-“

“Shh.”

 He closed his eyes slowly.

 Listen to me carefully.

Caitlyn flinched ever so slightly.

 Slit open Heather’s back. Inside, is the key to stopping the rocket launch. This isn’t Heather. It’s an android. NOW.

  “You killed him!” screamed Caitlyn, getting up, gripping a handful of her hair.

  “We need to locate the launch rocket, for his sake.” Glistening tears wet Benedict’s cheeks. “For Nate.”

   Ignoring everyone, Caitlyn trudged forward to Heather, who smiled meaninglessly at her.