Failed

The sun's rays burned my corneas as I got up to look out the window. I entered the bathroom and looked at my face in the mirror. My eyes were as red as the flames of hell. When I got out of the bathroom, Hansel was already up. Staring at each other, we waited with trepidation for the dreaded moment when we would have to leave home. A knock on the door broke the silence. Mia entered our room and said in a mellow tone, "We are going hiking as a family today. Bring whatever you will need."

My stomach knotted in anxiety.

"It's time," Hansel said.

We got up and grabbed everything we could use for survival. The only things inside my bag were knives, ropes and a jug of water. I didn't pack any clothes because I had no other clothes besides the dress I was wearing. As I looked outside the window, trying to catch one last glimpse of the view, I saw Hansel out on the lane, picking pebbles. I wondered why; we didn't have any slingshots.

When we headed out with Mother and Father through the woods, I noticed Hansel dropping pebbles on our way to whichever place Mia was planning to abandon us.

Finally, we stopped walking after half an hour.

"We are going to find wood. Stay here and do whatever you want," Mia told us.

She then grabbed my father's arm and dragged him off somewhere. Thinking that that would be the last time I would ever see them, I decided to enjoy whatever time I had left on the face of the earth, and pulled out a piece of my thin rope and started tying knots (it is actually great fun). When I finally stopped hearing any rustling noises made by Mother and Father, it was then I realised how dire the situation was.

Just as tears were about to well out of my eyes, Hansel moved beside me and said," I have dropped pebbles to guide us to the way home. When the moon shows up, they will shine and lead us back home."

"Smart. Very smart indeed!" I exclaimed, feeling immensely cheered up. Who would have thought he picked pebbles for that?

Soon, dusk fell and the moon rose. It shone, and so did the pebbles. I grinned at Hansel, very impressed with his ingenuity.

We followed those pebbles all the way home. As our house came in sight, I rants the lane and knocked on the door. When Mia opened it, she was stunned to see us outside.

"We have been looking all over for you! Where have you been? You naughty kids!" We stood there in silence. Without even bothering to say anything more, she walked inside.

Ha! As if! You meant to leave us in the woods, just so that you would not starve!

I whispered," We didn't go anywhere, dumbass." Unfortunately, Mia heard me.

She turned around, walked to us and asked eerily calmly, "Excuse me children, but may I ask who said that?"

We didn't answer. 

"Who did? Or I will hit you both!" She yelled. My hands started to shake so I hid them behind my back. Mia was becoming so impatient. She rolled her sleeves up and, just as she charged at me,

"I said it!" Hansel blurted out.

An arm came crashing down on his head, causing Hansel to groan. "Mia!" father exclaimed in shock of what he saw. "Oh Magnus you won't believe what that bastard told me!"  The evil witch rushed to tell Father what 'happened' as we sneaked into our room, where I consoled Hansel.

"Why did you do that?" I asked, "I was the one who was supposed to be hit."

"Mia's cracked, Gretel. I didn't know what she's going to do, so I took the blame for you."

"Aww. That's so sweet!" I cooed, and kissed him on the cheek. He fake-gagged in disgust.

Minutes later, Father came into the room and grabbed Hansel's arm, dragging him to their room.

"Father! What are you doing?!" I screamed and ran out, as I heard Hansel moan and give a loud cry. Standing outside the locked door, I could almost imagine blow after blow raining on his head, and I winced, my heart crying out silently for him. What was it that Mia said that will make father that furious? Five minutes later, Mia called for dinner. Father got out of the room and found me sitting on the floor outside the door. I immediately reached for the knob but Father stopped me.

"Let us eat dinner first, shall we?" He said it like a statement.

I followed Father to the dining room and saw three pieces of bread on the table.

"Isn't Hansel going to eat with us?" I asked quietly.

"He does not deserve it. That serves as his punishment." Father said sternly.

 'Was not beating him enough?' I thought to myself. I remained quiet, but left half of my bread for Hansel.

When dinner was over, I found Hansel in our room, lying on his mattress, with his face covered in blood. I closed the door. He looked at me while I stared at his bloody face.

"Please don't look at me like that," he said in a husky voice.

I rushed to his side and hugged him tight.

"Ouch," he commented drily.

"Sorry, really," I whispered.

He wiped my tears off with his fingers and comforted me within mouthfuls of the bread I had kept for him. I offered my bed to him, but he refused, saying that he was a man already. As night fell, I tried hard to sleep while listening to Hansel's quiet cries of pain.