Chapter 23

Chapter 23::Jar of Hearts::Christiana Perri

                                                                          ~PART ONE~

"Grief doesn't change you it reveals you." -John Green 

     The hospital was all white, cold, and smelt too clean. My heels scrapped against the white tiles and I wrung my wrist in my hands, ignoring my bandages. Lucas sat beside me, his arm around my shoulders. I didn't feel comforted.

        My mother, one of the things I hated moet in the world. After all she has done to me. How she treated me... I was worried sick. And Max, my little brother who deserved a better mother and sister. I couldn't lose him. I barely got to know him. 

        "This isn't right." I said. I jumped up from the seat and rushed over to the recoptionist. I could see her eyeroll but I really didn't care. 

        "Are you sure I can't see them?" I asked again. 

        "I told you miss." she sighed. "You can't see them right now." 

        "Can you at least tell me that they're okay?" I begged. "Please." 

        "I can't." she stressed. She clicked away on the computer in front of her and a urse behing her looked over at me. 

        "Fine." I truned away and walked over to Lucas. 

        "Come on let's get you something to eat." he said pulling me into the direction of the cafeteria. Other people sat in the waiting room. Some looked more anxious than me. I was the only on repeatedly bugging the resecptionist. 

        But I hated waiting. I hated it. My heart fell like it was trying to beat out of my chest and the whole room was closing around me and I couldn't breathe until I knew my family was okay. 

        "No." I snapped releasing myself from his hold. "I need to stay here. In case... in case they have something new." 

        "Nadya..." he said hesitently. "You suffocating in here. We jut going down the hall, we'll be back." 

        "No." 

        "Nadya." he looked at me and I felt it. He understood. 

        "Okay." I said. "Fine." I walked with him over to the general direction of the cafeteria. 

        I could hear the whirring of the hospital doors behind me. And someone loud came stomping in. 

        "I'm here for Max Sterling." 

        The voice was frightenly familiar. If I thought my chest felt constricted now, I could barely get oxygen to my head. Please... not now, not with Lucas here. 

        Lucas tunred around to look to check out the commotion and in return I was forced to turn with him. And there he was, Tyler. He looked like a wreck. His hair was a mess and he looked out of breath. 

        "That patient isn't allowed vistors at the moment." the receptionist said. 

        "But I'm his father." he shouted. And there it was.

        "I'm sorry." she replied, not really seeming to pay attention. 

        I held my breathe waiting for Lucas to connect the dots as Tyler looked over at us. Lucas looked at him curiously and then I realized, Lucas doesn't know who Tyler is, what he was to me and what he did to me.