01

c o b y // 0 1

"Coby, red or blue?" Lora looks at me, holding the two tops up to her chest. She bites her lip as she glances down at it; Lora can never make a decision by herself.

"Pink," I shrug, grabbing the fuchsia pink off the rack, handing it to her. She looks at me with wide eyes before placing it into her cart, nodding her head in agreement. Of course I was right.

"So, who is taking you to the dance?" Taylor smiles at me through the clothes rack I was browsing.

"Calum, who else?" I laugh. Calum was by far the most attractive, and popular boy at my school, so it only made sense for me, the most attractive and popular girl, to go with him. I picked up a deep purple dress, holding it up to my torso before shaking my head in disgust; purple was not my color.

"Oh, of course," Nina pouts. She's had the biggest crush on him since the seventh grade, and she thinks she's an expert at hiding it. Nina is a love sick puppy around Calum, and I would've let her have him, but he's the king of the school, and every king needs a queen.

"Aren't you going with Luke?" I ask Nina and she nods, her bright blue eyes still sad.

"Yeah, my mom's making me," she grumbled. The whole school thought he was a hopeless nerd, but I, on the other hand, was sure I could turn him into some serious man candy. That is, if I wanted to talk to him. Which I don't.

"I can't believe prom is only a month away," Lora grins, pulling the first dress off a rack and pulling it to herself, spinning. "I am so ready!"

"Lora, you don't even have a dress yet," I snort, "Don't get so ahead of yourself."

"I was just saying," she sighs, a dreamy smile on her face, "This is going to be the best prom Jefferson High has ever seen." Lora was the president of the prom comittee, and the only thing we heard her speak about anymore was the prom. 'Mystical' was the theme, and it was the only thing Lora had been talking about since January.

"I'm sure it will be, Lora," Taylor lightly laughs, swishing her jet black hair behind her. Her small, almond shaped eyes were glowing.

"What's got you all happy?" I tease Taylor lightly, hitting her shoulder with mine.

"Oh, nothing," she mutters, her cheeks turning a faint pink and her mouth opening to release a soft giggle.

"Oh, something," Nina steps in front of her and grins, causing as all to stop and train our eyes on Taylor.

"Okay, fine," Taylor gives in, a smile still on her face, "Chris finally asked me out."

"Are you serious?" Lora exclaims, clasping a hand onto her shoulder, "This is so exciting!" I was excited for Taylor, but I wasn't hopping up and down like Lora. If I'm honest, I'm just happy all of the "does he like me or not" crap Taylor has been feeding us for the past two months since she and Chris had been talking was over.

"Just don't wear a blue dress, blue clashes with his eyes." I respond with a helpful smile, noticing Taylor's eyes fall slightly. "And, I'm happy for you, Tay," I try to backtrack; Taylor has been my closest friend for years, and I really didn't want to upset her. Lora and Nina are great, but if we stopped talking after graduation, I wouldn't be too distressed. Taylor is different.

Taylor grins back at me as we waltz into yet another prom store. I was just here for moral support; I already had my dress and staring at the piles of new dresses was making me nauseous. "I'm going to get a smoothie," I told the girls before turning on my heel and exiting too fast for anyone to come with. I was tired and bored; our after school shopping sprees had been turning into quite the drag.

I was about halfway to the food court when I noticed a group of people staring at me. I wasn't used to being stared at unless I wanted to be stared at, so I was slightly unnerved. I anxiously pulled my skirt down lower on my thighs and took a deep breath, continuing my confident strut down the mall's hallway. I saw a flash of green plaid out of the corner of my eye and my name was shouted behind me, causing me to turn around quickly, almost teetering on my wedges. A strong arm lands on my waist and fixes me so I stand upright.

"Coby? Are you alright?" he asks and its the first time I get a good look at him. He had golden hair and the brightest hazel eyes, shielded by thick black-framed glasses and filled with concern for me.

"Yes, I'm fine, thank you," I wipe my hands on my skirt and straighten my shirt. "Can I help you?" I glanced nervously at him. I was trying to place him, considering I was probably supposed to know his name if he knew mine. I think we had history together in ninth grade, but the kid I'm thinking of was named Nelson, and there is no way someone this attractive had a name like Nelson.

He nodded his head and gave a dimply grin, "Can I ask you for a favor?"

a s h t o n // 0 1

All Coby did was blink, her hazel eyes staring widely at mine.

"A favor?" she repeated and I shook my head, looking at her hopefully. I could tell she was confused, probably wondering why a loser like me wanted to ask her a question. Suddenly, her eyes got even wider and shook her head, "I will not be your date to prom."

"I don't want you to be my date to prom?" I immediately say in response, surprise evident in my tone. Her face falls slightly and I realize that probably wasn't the nicest way to tell her.

"Well, why wouldn't you? Everyone else does," she says matter-of-factly, her brows raised on her pale forehead.

"Because I have a better date," I sigh and mentally slap myself. Now she looked angered, and I wasn't even surprised. I had been an asshole.

"I don't think you can get a better date than me," she responded, her voice strong but eyes hurt.

"Well, I think differently," I widen my eyes and tell myself to think before speaking next time. I had never liked Coby, she thought too highly of herself and too lowly of others, but I needed her for this project to work.

"I think I'll be going now," she nodded gruffly and soon her wedged feet were walking away.

"Wait! I need your help!" I call after her and she whips around, eyes hard and angry.

"And why should I help you?" She sneered, a look of disgust obviously on her features.

"Because, princess, I need a movie, and you need a crown."

¤ ¤ ¤

omg so first i want to apologize for waiting til june but my laptop broke (((sad face))) and i was on vacation last week buT i am back now and i am determined to have regular updates

second - so sorry this is short and rather shitty i wanted to leave it there but next chapter will be better omg

third - thANK EVERYONE SO MUCH FOR THE EXCITEMENT OVER THIS BOOK I AM SO EXCITED TOO

and last - thank you for 3k reads its insane considering this is the first chapter i am literally so surprised and i hope this chapter does well and ill be back soon ☺️