12. be quiet

"I want you to come with me to the hand-off site," Gary tells me when he steps into his office. He's holding an empty glass in one hand and his cellphone in the other. My eyes follow him as he walks to the bar table and pours himself a drink. "Have you finished?"

"Yes." I gesture to the closed and locked suitcases lined up by the foot of his desk. "Half a million in each. One hundred twenty-five thousand counterfeit dollars and one hundred twenty-five thousand real American dollars, as requested."

He nods in satisfaction. "Good. I sincerely hope for your sake you were efficient."

"I always am."

His lips twitch and he moves towards the desk. "If there's anything I admire about you more than your many talents, Milan, it is your arrogance. Arrogance is good."

High praise, coming from him.

"When's this hand-off happening?" I ask, standing up.

"Tomorrow evening." He tosses his phone on the desk and takes a sip from his glass. "We leave at seven."

"Alright," I nod, moving towards the door. "I'll be ready."

He doesn't respond, and I take that as the end of our conversation. I leave his office and move down the hall, but stop in my tracks when I see Sebastian carrying bags towards the front door. With narrowed eyes, I start walking towards him.

"Sebastian?"

He glances over his shoulder at me and stops, slowly lowering the bags to the floor. He looks upset, his lips turned down considerably.

"You're leaving?"

"Yes."

I glance between him and the bags.

"To go where?"

"My place." My brows raise at his clipped tone.

"I'll put your bags in the car," Jag says as he steps through the front door. "Is this all?"

"I'll get the rest tomorrow. Thank you, Jagir." Sebastian nods as Jag grabs his bags and slips out again. He runs a hand through his hair and sighs.

"What's wrong?"

"It's—" He shakes his head. "It's nothing. I'm just not interested in staying in this house."

"Did something happen?"

"Look, if my father sent you to talk to me—"

"He didn't. Does this have to do with Gary?"

Sebastian shakes his head. "Look, no offense, but you're a part of the problem."

I reel back. "Me? What did I do?"

I had tried to hide the indignation from my tone, but it was too apparent and he noticed.

"Nothing. Not..." He sighs again, frustration seeping into his entire presence. Whatever it is he's feeling, he seemed to be struggling to put into words.

Still vexed by what he said, I sigh in annoyance. "Come on. Let's go for a drive."

"What?"

Ignoring his confusion, I brush past him and out the front door. Jag is standing by the car, and his eyes narrow when he sees me.

"Milan."

"You're not needed right now, Jag." I walk around Sebastion's car to the driver's side. "I've got it."

As I settle in, I see Sebastian walking towards the passenger's seat of the car. I focus on adjusting the seat, the mirror, and my appearance while I wait for him to get in. He climbs in just as I click on my seatbelt. I don't wait for him to put his on before moving forward.