CHANGE GOOD OR EVIL?

Many of us fear change. Its a natural phenomenon to keep us safe, which is why so many people feel comfortable with routine. There are those who feel so comfortable with routine which alleviates any anxiety that they ritualise their routine. We all know people like that they are the ones who always park in the same spot in the car park or always book the same seat on a plane or a seat on a train. The problem with such ritualised routine is that when that exact spot or seat is disrupted due to unforseen events the person who loves that routine is disrupted and either gets anxious or angry that their routine has been disrupted.

I had a friend who was so ritualised with her routines that she would shout at someone if they parked in what she felt was her parking space in a public car park if she saw them park up. I just couldn't understand why she would get so angry at that when there were plenty more car parking spaces in the car park.

Ritualised routine is also a symptom of Obsessive compulsive disorder and many of those who follow such routines to the enth degree are found to be suffering from some sort of OCD spectrum. I know this from various people I know and also from my family too. I had one friend who was obsessive about the number of lights & baubles etc and how they were arranged on her christmas tree, whilst this in itself was not a problem as she ensured she put the tree up every year, the one year when she couldn't because she was away on business she had her husband do it and made him take a picture and text it to her. The reaction was unreal believe me I was there when she got the offending picture text. She went crazy about the fact that one of the baubles was in the wrong place and that he had used the wrong string of lights on the tree. Its took a cup of strong tea and good talking to to make her realise that her expectations were hers and not his. She still poked at him about it but it was a poke in stead of a rage.

Joking aside since OCD can be very debilitating disease and can not only just affect the sufferer but also the sufferers family. I would like to discuss further about change and the various options that run though our heads.

Have you ever wondered why some people are able to change and adapt to any situation and seemingly are able to cope whilst there are others where any change is seen as a negative event.

In addition for others only certain changes are frightful or only at certain times in their lives perhaps when they are stressed etc. Having experienced a lot of change in my own life I can honestly say that I feel that CHANGE IS GOOD.

Whilst going through a particularly turbulent time in my life I came across the quote

"A caterpillar thinks its life over until it becomes a butterfly" and to this day I don't think I have come across a better quote which explains the reality of life .

This book is not going to be one of those happy clappy books you so often see in the shops, you know the ones these self help books that give you all the answers and patronise you by telling you stuff you already know. The aim of my book is to give you tools and insights into Change and ways you can look at it, and this is the important thing individual perception of change is the biggest starting point what ever that change may be.

Perception

Control ( for all us control freaks out there)

Consequences ( to do or not to do)

Actions ( baby steps)

Transition

And Bingo