Please Let the Spell Bugs Bite

Okay, so I completely understand if some of the writers make minor grammatical errors as English is not their first language (like me, since I'm Indian). I even understand if they write a few spellings differently: the British-American spellings, for instance (color and colour, grey and gray). I'm totally cool about it, even sympathetic. However, then there are some 'writers' out there who just do not know how to spell. There is no second opinion or justification possible as yes, there are some of them who simply do not know that there is a damn spell-check button provided above.

I understand that typos happen often (even I make loads of them) but when there is a cute little spellchecker provided to you for your own good, what is the harm in using it? I fail to understand. Then there is this even unbearable thing people often do: use of internet slang while writing a full-fledged novel. I have read a number of stories on here which use terms like 'K' and 'Lol' and 'btw' while writing a character's dialogue. Like, what is wrong with you buddy? Who does that? Please stop! You're writing a book, not a Facebook status update! (Speaking of which, I make sure even my Facebook status updates are correct, as far as spelling is concerned.)

Oh and there are also the people who are utterly ignorantly clueless about homophones. These little Shakespeares will constantly mix 'their' and 'there', 'duel' and 'dual', 'discreet' and 'discrete' while writing. And it would not be an exaggeration to say that this just makes me want to send them back to third grade and force them to cram up all the homophones in detention.

I mean all you have to do is write your chapter and then just click on the adorable button with 'ABC' and a tick mark on it. Is it that tough? Does it make you anxious? Do your hands tremble by the mere thought of it? No, didn't think so. Using the spell-check would not only make your story better, it'd also save you from the long strong of insults spelling-Nazis like me throw at you. See? Win-win situation.

So, here was another Wattpad pet-peeve of mine which, I'm sure, is shared by many of you out there.

Till the next update, stay tuned and for Pete's sake, use the spellchecker.

Adieu!