The Stork Part Three

Mama had always loved reading romantic stories. There was one that brought her to tears tho. I had asked why but all she had responded with was a parable. Mama had always said that if Jesus taught other through stories then why couldn't she? I never knew what she meant by her little sayings but I was not one to ignore my mother. What she said shocked me tho.

One day you will meet a boy

who will treat you kindly

and look upon in such a way

as though you light up their world.

That boy will light a fire in your heart

and make you full of passion.

But the boy that has

an everlasting impression

on you will not always

be the one who you end up with.

I never thought that Mama could be right. Surely The Lord would lead me my way to my soulmate. He had the best things planned out for me already and I just had to discover them. I had always invisoned my future lover bumping into me and then becoming awestruck upon my presence or perhaps even falling flat upon their face. I wanted a man who was single and ready to make a life of his own with me. I wanted someone who was unattached and willing to be mine in every possible way.

We don't always get our fairytale ending though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Niall had become anxious upon us leaving the apartment. Normally when we went for walks he would hold out his arm for me like the gentleman he was. Tonight, however, he seemed to have made his hand become attached to my waist and was holding me to him. It was nice but still peculiar. The weather was beginning to get colder but not so cold that we needed to remain close to maintain body heat.

"It's delirious how the weather is nowadays. It seems like summer was just here and now I have to get bundled up every time I need to go outside. I'm glad that you spend most of the time in our apartment so you can't catch a cold."

"Oh Niall, I can still catch a cold even if I lock myself in my bedroom and always had my furnace on."

"That's true but the odds are that happening are quite minuscule."

"It could be the Black Swan effect Niall."

"The Black Swan? Wow you sure are an educated maiden. Not many ladies around here would even begin to know what that means." Niall chuckled.

"Well in order to fully understand the world, you must understand the language in depth."

Niall smiled and shook his head, "Yes but wouldn't they say that they know the language in depth as well? Everything's subjective so you cannot- oh shit!"

Niall's eyes got big and tightened his grip around me while looking at the car who had just driven past us.

"I beg your pardon!"

Sheepishly he turned towards me and said, "Sorry Evelyn I just was not expecting that car."

His car? What was wrong with that man's car? I was never really one to drool over automobiles although I did see the importance that they had now. Back home only Pastor John had an automobile. The whole town saved up the money so he could get one to visit his family. Mama had been personally in charge of running the collection fund.

Pastor John did end up getting enough money to get the automobile. I believe it was a Model-T, whatever that was. He was always so thankful and even took me on joy rides when he came to visit. The man that had driven past did not have the same car as Pastor John although it did look peculiarly similar.