Prologue

I sat gazing out at the water. Maybe this is really it for me, the lonely girl that everyone leaves in the end. Maybe it's my turn to leave everyone. All these crazy thoughts were running through my head, driving my insane. Shut up, shut up, shut up! I just want to feel normal. I want to have a close knit group of friends that I know are always there for me to fall back on. I want to have someone who will hold me so tight that I don't feel so broken anymore. I just want someone, anyone, to stick around after knowing my deepest and darkest thoughts. If only it was that easy.

Christopher Jenkins; I really thought he'd be the one. He was always so charming, and handsome, everyone loved him. Nobody knew the real him though. The dark, twisted side of him. He was supposed to love me unconditionally, but there was always a condition or a rule when it came to Chris. No male friends; no going out partying - especially if he wasn't going to be there; no going out in general unless he was with me or out himself with his own set of friends. The list was endless of expectations he had for me, and despite all that I loved him dearly. I never thought anything bad of Chris' behaviour until things crashed down on us. I really began to see the real him and it was scary. How had I never noticed before?

This is where Ethan Montgomery comes in. My knight in shining armour, I thought. The polar opposite to Chris, while they were both tall, Ethan had mesmerising blue eyes that I could get lost in for hours, and the softest blonde hair that I loved to run my hands through. He was my life line when Chris left. He would be there day and night, for hours on end, just talking to me and supporting me through it all. He was my best friend, and I fell for him so fast. I couldn't understand it, I still can't explain it, but Ethan stole my heart in the blink of an eye, and he was gone just as quick.

Closing my eyes, I took a shaky breath of the salty air around me. I wish things were back to simpler times. Times where boys didn't matter and the biggest problem a girl could have was falling out with her best friend only to make up three hours later. But unfortunately those times are long gone. It's all about love and the future now. But I don't see a future for myself. I don't want to be here. The people I cared for most have left me shattered and broken.

I took a deep breath, this is it.