Twenty-Two; Real Life

Brooks always visited the, one of many, local McDonalds. Lucie lived just two minutes away, in an apartment that she shared with her younger brother, Justin, and so the pair often used to come here to eat when they couldn't be bothered to make food for themselves (and when Lucie had a craving for a McFlurry, which was surprisingly often). By now, the employees probably knew their entire group's names and birthdays, since they often grabbed lunch or a 3 a.m. meal there.

         But, she wasn't there to grab a twenty box of McNuggets with Lucie today. No, she was standing around and waiting for Tom Holland, a boy that she never thought she'd have the chance to talk to, let alone meet. It was rare for Lucie to have the opportunity to introduce her co-stars to the group, since a lot of the time both sets of people were in different places. And yet, there she was. Friends with Spiderman. Who she was about to meet for the very first time.

         Brooks' hands shook, and she curled them into fists to try to subdue them. She was nervous, and as much as she hated being nervous, she couldn't help but think who wouldn't be if they were in this situation. They'd be nervous, excited, and maybe a little unconvinced that Tom was actually going to show up.

         Brooks pulled out her phone and checked the time. 1:01 p.m., time had barely passed at all. She got here roughly seven minutes ago, despite knowing that it was too early to leave her home, but she was too nervous to sit around and do nothing but watch the clock tick by. Jesus, she should have waited. Or, at the very least, she should've broken into Lucie's house to kill the rest of the time.

         Her phone buzzed in her hand, and she clicked on the notification to find a text message from Tom.

Look up.

         Looking up, she met the gaze of Tom Holland, who stood just a few yards away, smiling brightly at her. She stood there for a moment, not knowing what to do, but she was quickly forced into action when Tom pulled her in for a hug.

        "I was kinda nervous that you wouldn't come," he admitted as he pulled away, scratching awkwardly at the back of his neck.

        "Why wouldn't I turn up?" She queried, cocking her head to the side, as the two of them approached the door of McDonald's.

       "I don't know," he shrugged, "You could've gotten a better offer."

       "Trust me, Thomas, there are no better offers to be had when meeting a friend for the first time ever," she told him, nudging him in the side with her elbow. "Come on, I'm starving, and I really want to go to those caves-- after the arcade, of course."

       "Of course. Lead the way, Brooks."

---