Chapter Ten

Somehow, I trusted him. I knew it was a stupid of me, considering he's the original hybrid. He doesn't do anything unless it benefits himself. But now that I think about it, being a vampire-witch hybrid, I could benefit him.

And that was the only reason he was keeping me safe.

"So you're refusing to sleep?" Stefan questioned in a bitter tone, almost annoyed.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, keeping my expression blank. From this point on I was on a no-weakness basis, meaning no cry and no getting upset over anything. Just a very neutral status from now on. Or at least, as long as I can contain myself. I didn't want to be seen as a nuisance or a weak link.

Ignoring the vampire, I return to placing candles around the grains of salt that I had formed into a pentagram. Knowing Aubrey as well as I did, her rage would drive her to find me. Something which I could not allow to happen, not yet anyways. I wasn't strong enough to fight her. If it even came down to that, I had to be prepared for anything.

"The silent treatment," Stefan sniggered from his situated spot across the room, "real mature."

Something about his mocking tone broke my composer, and in the next moment he was in pain, "Now is not the time to test me, vampire." I hissed through clenched teeth, my nerves were strained and he wasn't helping.

A growl from the doorway of the motel forced me to lower my hand, and attract my attention to the source of the sound. However, it also prevented Stefan from attacking me back.

"And what do you think you're doing there, love?" The British voice of the hybrid rang through the room, directly at me from the door.

My pathetic emotions were heightened, which just fueled my frustration, "Don't worry about it." I replied as politely as I could, but failed.

By this time I should know the routine as once again I am grabbed by the throat, and lifted into the air. My tiny hands grasp around the hands on my neck, clenching my teeth. I wanted to hiss at him and fight back, but with the little amount of reasoning I had left, I knew that was a terrible idea.

"You know, I'm getting real sick of your attitude Blackwater." He hisses at me, the grip around my throat tightening.

Shutting out his sharp golden eyes, a soft whimper escapes me. He was an Alpha, and both of us knew it quite well. Everything about him radiated fear into me, nothing I could do could prevent the shiver of fear that crawled down my spine as he growls. In the moment that I waited for my death, he released me and I hit the ground, knocking over one of my unlit candles.

Immediately following I answered his question, trembling ever so slightly, "I-It's just a misguidance charm..." My words were stuttered, and I was too much of a coward to look up at him.

He simply nods, whatever kept them from being ambushed by a bunch of witches. He notices her trembling and shakes his head at her, "If you learn to communicate better, and we won't have any more problems, love."

I bite my lip to keep from saying anything and turn back to the ritual at hand. I had to get this right, and they were distracting me. It was hard enough with my lack of supplies, I didn't need any more issues to stress me out. Thankfully he didn't seem to ming my lack of an answer, I didn't know what I would say anyways. The only words that should be on my mind is the spells chant, anything else was useless at this point.

Klaus was so silent, that I hardly noticed his movements at all. Barely noticed his soft whispers as he talked to Stefan about something. Stefans gaze bore into my back as I put my back to them and worked. I wasn't sure how long he stood there and stared, but one of the times I glanced back, he was gone.

By the time I got around to finishing the ritual, the room was empty. They had left me alone. I slowly stood up and listened to my surroundings. It was silent, spare for the person behind the desk across the lot, they were humming and it sounded like they were sorting papers.

Was this some sort of test? Where did they go? Surely they didn't trust me this much to leave me unattended. Before one of them was always around to make sure I didn't make a break for it. Maybe they forgot about me?

Slowly peeling back the curtain I flinch almost expecting sunlight to burn me, but it was past dusk and the sun was gone. I could finally escape from them! Nothing was stopping me. My heart pounded in my chest at the thought of running out that door and never looking back. Feeling as if the moment I stepped out they would show up.

Where would I go? What would I do? My sister would be hunting my defenseless ass, and I'd be dust when the sun came back up. As terrifying as the hybrid was, he was keeping me alive and giving me a purpose; even if that purpose wasn't exactly clear.

Reluctantly I let go of the curtain and sulked to the bed. My rapid heart beat slowly returned to its normal pace as the adrenaline settled. There would be no running today, and probably not for a long time. I had to be rational about my way of going about; any more reckless behaviour will get me killed.

The candles let off a peaceful glow that barely illuminated the room. I sat at the end of the bed, watching the flames flicker. Even with the ritual, I didn't feel safe to sleep, especially when I was alone in the motel.

All that was left to do was wait for their return like a good girl...

--Authors Note--

How did this get over a thousand votes? Damn, I've been gone for too long. Thank you for those who have read this far and have been commenting and waiting for another update. I can't promise that I'll get back into the groove of things, but I'm trying!

I have other Vampire Diaries stories you could read as well to pass time, however, I can't promise I'll update those either...

XOXO
Queen Aryca ❤