Chapter Nine

Sophie

Jerking around, I bite back a shriek as I look up to find Tall Guy smiling down at me, the scar along his cheek more prominent.

“Hello, Miss Sophie Fisher,” he says with an accented voice. “Please, come with us.”

Fucking great, Sophie! See what happens when you get distracted?

“Where to?” Surprisingly, my voice sounds strong, unlike the chaos happening in my gut. This feels like a scene from The Godfather.

Tall Guy points toward a silver Volvo parked across the street. I curl my hands to stop them from shaking as I calculate the distance to my Honda. I snake my hand back inside my bag, searching for the pepper spray I’ve been carrying around the past few weeks.

“What do you want with me?” I say, tightening my hold on the pepper spray. I slide a finger along its smooth surface and toward the nozzle, making sure it’s faced away from me like I’d been shown when I bought it.

“Josef,” he says, indicating himself. “Boss wants to meet you.” Both men box me between them, herding me toward the traffic lights.

His boss? I dart a glance at Musclepants on my right. He pins me with cold, grey eyes, his lips thinning out, and I drop my gaze.

Jeez. He looks like he eats puppies for breakfast.

“Cat got your tongue, mister?” I mumble under my breath, scanning the streets littered with pedestrians. Straight ahead is the U2 subway. I’m considerably shorter than the two goons. I could duck and weave through Bellariastrasse, down Burgring and then lose them when I hit the Vienna Opera House.

We stop to wait for the lights to change. I only have a few minutes to carry out my plan. As the light clicks red, I yank my hand out of the bag. As if sensing my next move, the two men shift their grip from my forearms to my armpits, their bodies pressing even closer.

No, no, no! Foot-licking turds anticipated my move. My hands and feet dangle in the air as they carry me toward the Volvo, the opposite direction from the subway.

“This is just a friendly talk, Miss Fisher, no need to pull a quick one on us,” Josef murmurs close to my ear. I jerk back, but it’s useless. I’m still pinned to their sides like shoe glue. We’re getting closer, and I can see the Volvo’s personalized plates.krav 12.  

Oh my god, I’m going to pee myself.

I kick my right foot, catching someone’s shin. Musclepants grunts softly, his grip tightening in warning.

We arrive at the car much too soon. The urge to throw up hits the back of my throat. Sweat breaks on my forehead as the back door swings open and I’m tossed onto the seat. My face hits the leather the same time a hand closes around my pepper spray, yanking it out of my grip.

“Give it back to her,” a smooth voice says from the confines of the car. “She will not use it on me. Isn’t that correct, lovely Miss Fisher?”

I haven’t seen the face yet, but that voice . . . holy shit, that voice sends a shiver down my spine. I shake my head, hoisting myself up. My chest aches as my heart pounds in overdrive.

“Good. I’ve been anxious to meet you for a long time. Come, come.”

I slide over on the seat, scanning the interior. Cream-colored leather seats, modified dashboard, and tinted windows. Crap crap crap! This is bad. Like twenty shades of gangster bad.

Calm down, Sophie. Just take a deep breath, and calm the freak down.

I gaze around the car again, biting my lip to block the scream fighting it’s way up my chest.