02: surprise, surprise

Not edited.

Aiesha's point of view.

Parking the car and getting out, I walked to the back of the building to get started on the job I had on the side until I started college next year.

Opening the door to the crowded McDonald's on 43rd Street, I gave my 'hellos' to my co-workers before going into the back to get dress.

After changing into my work clothes and putting my church attire into a plastic bag, I sat my things in the back room, making a note to not forget them.

Walking to the front of the restaurant to start my part time shift, I spot Devante at the cash register, taking a customer's order and sending it to the cooks.

With his back turned to me, I took in his appearance while I had the time or better yet the privilege to stare at his butt.

Even though he was my best friend and all, I still had eyes and knew when I saw someone attractive.

He was tall, fair skinned, and had a smile that would cause so many fluttering hearts, including mine.

After he got done with the order, I tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention.

Turning around to see who it was, he immediately smiles.

"What up," he engulfed me into a hug as I took a sniff of his faint cologne.

He always smelt good.

"Where were you?" I looked up at Devante as I tied the apron around my waist. "I didn't see you at my house Saturday."

"What do you mean?" he smirked, handing the grease-stained bag to the customer after we let go of each other.

I leaned onto the counter to get a better look at him."Why didn't you come to my birthday party? I mean your my best friend and all."

He pulled his hat to the back of his head in frustration. "Fuck! I totally forgot about it Aiesha."

"So that means you didn't get me anything" I rolled my eyes as a new customer walked into the establishment. "Where were you or who you were with to make you forget about me?"

He side eye me. "Will talk about this later."

"We better," I nodded my head as it was my turn to take the order.

----

"So about our conversation earlier," I popped a fry into my mouth as we walked to a table after our shift was over. "What happened again?"

He tried to play it off by pulling out his phone from his pocket and turning it on. "What conversation are you talking about again because I remember having many with you."

"I mean the one where you forgot about my birthday! It's okay if you didn't remember, I understand. I only care about the way you've been acting towards me lately."

He raised an eyebrow. "Why would you say that?"

This bitch had me all the way fucked up. He knew what I meant.

"I know you Devante. You never act like this unless there's a girl involved. Who is the lucky girl?"

"There's no girl," he replied after taking a sip of the soft drink he bought.

"So there's a boy?" I moved my lips to the side in accusation. "I didn't know you were playing for the other team."

"What you mean?" he backed his head in surprise. "I'm still attracted to women."