The Way to a Man's Heart

“Thanks for letting me sleep over, Grace.” Lance smiled as she handed him a cup of steaming coffee.

“It's not a problem.” she assured him. “Want a muffin? They're fresh.”

Lance grinned in satisfaction as Grace turned to the oven to retrieve the still hot goods.

He had done nothing more than sleep here, in Brynn's room no less. Not only had nothing happened with Grace, but there hadn't even been a chance for there to. Grace had gone to bed the moment he walked into her door, claiming she was tired from a long Saturday at the bakery.

Not that Lance was going to push anything. He was quite comfortable where they were right now.

Still, it was so nice to have her fussing over him this morning. Coffee, fresh baked muffins; she had even offered to iron his shirt before he went into the fire house today. Lance was sure there was no greater joy in life than to have a beautiful woman take care of you.

If she was struggling a bit to keep her voice cheery and steady, he didn't remark on it. If she tried to keep her eyes from him and when they did fall on him she blushed, he pretended he didn't notice.

Ever since their date the other night, Grace had been doing things like that. It didn't bother Lance at all. In fact, he reveled in it. That meant that going out with him actually affected her. If it affected her, then she must feel something for him.

Brynn would mock him for thinking so, but Lance really was content with just that for now. That didn't mean he didn't want more, it just meant that he was happy finally being noticed.

Lance took a healthy bite of the chocolate chip muffin and grinned. It was still hot and kind of gooey. It burned his mouth but it was well worth it.

“Want anything in your coffee?” she asked him as she prepared a new batch. She was always baking, it was what she did. She was probably going to send him off to the fire station with the muffins to give to the rest of the crew. On Sundays, when the bakery was closed, they didn't eat nearly as well as they did the rest of the week.

“Got cream and sugar?” he asked, his eyes on her sweet form as she moved around.

She laughed like he had told a joke. Of course she had a cream and sugar. Not only did she bring it to him, she mixed it into his drink as well. When she stepped back, the black beverage was now a light, milk chocolatey brown and Lance took an appreciative sip.

He didn't care if it wasn't masculine or whatever, Lance had always had a sweet tooth. A taste that extended into all areas of his life he thought as he watched the sweet Grace continue to putter around the kitchen as she waited for the muffins to finish.

“Going to have good weather today.” she remarked casually as she began preparing a box for Lance to transport the muffins in.

“Clear skies and a nice breeze.” he agreed, taking another sip of his coffee. He just couldn't seem to stop watching her. She had even put on an apron this morning. He had this crazy thought where he wondered what she would look like wearing nothing but that apron.

That thought only led to worse and progressively worse thoughts that he couldn't help but enjoy.

A voice in his head that sounded suspiciously like Brynn was suddenly urging him to take a step forward. Grace knew how he felt now, he had a shot with her. He didn't need the naked apron fantasy, not yet anyway, but there was nothing against him having a simple kiss.

As Grace began setting her mixing bowls in the sink so she could wash them, Lance stood up from the table and took a determined step towards her. She hadn't heard him move and turned on the water.